Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

should i delete the old patition and reinstall progs?

• Please log in to reply

girryman

girryman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
well im thinking that i might just as well delete the old windows and to [bleep] with the programs and start from scratch in the new patition? any help would be great as i dont know how to delete the first windows.
cheers

Advertisements

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
that wasnt i rude word!!!! hmmm any way lol (well i didnt think so.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi girryman...

Sorry...I didn't know you still had questions. Had you replied to the original topic, I would have been notified.

If you have the data (files, pics, etc...) that you needed from the old install, you may delete it. Any programs will have to be reinstalled to the new installation for them to work. I made mention of that fact HERE.

The old directory is the Windows folder and is the one you'll want to remove...you are now running from the new directory you created (Windows0).

Hope this helps...

wannabe1

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
hi wannabe1, i couldnt find my old posts lol so had to start a new one. so if i go into docs and settings and just delete the old windows that should do it no? thanks for your reply

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
im in docs and settings and there are 2 sets of folders the old and the new, old= all users, saya new=all useres windowso, sara1
should i delete the old ones?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, you can delete the old one IF you have recovered all the data you need from it.

You can also delete the folder C:\WINDOWS if you haven't already...that's the broken installation.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok thanks where do i find the folder C:\WINDOWS , i really am rubbish at this!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open My Computer and double click on Local Disk C: You should see the folders in there.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok started to delete windows but after a couple of min it said i couldent delete flash 9 and stopped deleteing. any idea?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Dang that Flash file...that new one just doesn't like being deleted. See if you can move it out of the folder it's in and then try to delete the folder. You may have to move it out of the Windows folder completely and then delete the Windows folder.

What is the name of the actual file that's refusing to go?

Advertisements

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
it just says flash9 is denide acsses, iŽll try and drag it out and delete the windows folder and iŽll get back to you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If that doesn't work, open Internet Explorer, click on "Tools", point to "Manage Add-ons", and choose "Enable or Disable Add-ons". In the "Show" drop down menu, select "Add-ons that run without requiring permission". In the list, locate "Shockwave Flash Object" and click on it. Tick the button next to "Disable" and click "Ok".

Close Internet Explorer and see if the file will delete.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok ive deleted windows and taken the flash9, im going to install all the programms again i think, as now ive tried to play a dvd but get now sound or pic so should i just delete all and reinstall? thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What version Media Player do you have installed?

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
i think its 9, but dont worry and thank you ever so much again for your help! its now working and thats the main thing, if mmy girlfriend wants to listen to music sheŽll have to listen to the radio (just kidding), shes off to colombia to work tomorow so its up an running for here, and once again you have been a great help on all.
take care