Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KERNEL32.DLL error

• Please log in to reply

j0n

j0n

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Upon startup I receive the error message "Explorer has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL. Explorer will now close." After selecting close, windows continues to run but I can't open any programs (aside from IE explorer) without receiving the same message and having the program close. I've tried adaware, spybot, and CWShredder in safe mode with no results. I have a copy of Norton Anivirus however it appears to be missing its run command and I can't reinstall it without encoutering similar errors. I've also tried a system restore several times, but each time upon completion I was informed the restoration failed. Any insight about how to cerrect this problem would be greatly appriciated.

Advertisements

j0n

j0n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I realize you are very busy and that I shouldn't complain because I'm getting this help for free. However, its been over a week and I haven't had any replies... I was just wondering if it should take this long or if you have no suggestions. If not I'd appriciate it if you let me know so I could go ahead and format my computer and get it over with.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It is never impolite to bump a thread....things move so quickly around here (who would have thought that so many people still use windows 9x?) that threads fall off the front page quickly.

I don't know about the others, but I could sit down at 7 in the morning and go all day just on this and the xp/2000 forum and just hammer out tech advice on the front page with new additions. If you slip to the second page, you are very likely to not get noticed.

I've got 800 posts in two weeks and generally try to hit the zero reply posts before doing anything when I pop by.

Anyway, I would start by replacing said file.

Since it is a windows me protected file, this is a little tricker.

Get a windows me boot disk
http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Start your computer with it.
Choose start with cd-rom support
When that completes put the windows me cd in the cd-rom
type
EXT
hit enter..
follow the prompts...you will extract the above file kerenel.exe)

j0n

j0n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I entered the extraction command and was prompted to:

1. Please enter the path to the windows CAB files(a:): I assumed that this meant specify the location of kernel.exe on the instalation disk; howeve, when I explored the disk I couldn't find any kernel related files (or at least any with kernel in the name). The closest I found was IKERNEL.EX_ on a utility/driver disk. But beside the point when I tried to specify a location (e:\ or e:\install (e:\install was the location of IKERNEL.EX_ on the utility disk)) I was then prompted Error: cannot open file: e:\(null) or e:\install\(null).

2. Please enter the name(s) of the file(s) you want to extract: I assume this would be kernel.exe or ikernel.ex_ (if thats the correct app)

3. Please enter the path to extract to ("enter" for current directory): I assume this would be C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM since thats were kernel32.dll is located now.

thanks for the time and help on this, I really appriciate it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Two questions
Do you have a windows cd
Barring that, search your drive for files ending in .cab (often in a folder called c:\options or c:\windows\options

j0n

j0n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I found the CAB folder C:\windows\options\cabs and yes I have a Win Me OS installation disk but the drivers are on a seperate disk that dell provided when I bought the computer from them. (if that makes a difference in where the kernel files are - I don't really know)

j0n

j0n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Let's try this

start with the winme startup disk you downloaded above

when you get to a:\>, type

c: <enter>
cd C:\windows\options\cabs <enter>
ext

at the prompt for path, type
c:\windows\options\cabs

at the prompt for name type
kernel32.dll

at the prompt for destination, type
c:\windows\system

hit enter

say Y for yes

extract will search through the cab files, and will extract from whatever cab it fines (I think win1_11.cab
)

When comeplete, remove floppy, reboot computer

j0n

j0n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried what you said and this is what I got:

A:\>C:

C:\>cd c:\windows\options\cabs

C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS>ext

Microsoft® extract command line helper
-----------------------------------------------
error : EXTRACT.EXE must be in the current directory!

Edited by j0n, 13 April 2005 - 03:18 PM.

j0n

j0n

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I also got a lot of information from typing in extract.exe - I don't know if it helps, but here it is.

A:\>extract.exe
Microsoft ® cabinet extraction tool - version (16) 1.00.0610.0 (03/31/99)
Copyright © Microsoft corp 1994-1999. All rights reserved.

EXTRACT [/Y] [/A] [/D | /E] [/L dir] cabinet [filename ...]
EXTRACT [/Y] source [newname]
EXTRACT [/Y] /C source destination

~~~~here there is a description of what cabinet, filename, source, and newname means but its long and probably unneccessary~~~~

/A Process ALL cabinets. Follows cabinet chain
starting in first cabinet mentioned.
/C Copy source file to destination (to copy from DMF disks).
/D Display cabinet directory (use with filename to avoid extract).
/E Extract (use instead of *.* to extract all files).
/L dir Location to place extracted files (defaut is current directory).
/Y Do not prompt before overwritting an existing file.

Edited by j0n, 13 April 2005 - 03:16 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
let's try this again

when you get to a:\>, type

c: <enter>
cd C:\windows\options <enter>
ext

at the prompt for path, type
c:\windows\options\cabs

at the prompt for name type
kernel32.dll

at the prompt for destination, type
c:\windows\system

hit enter

say Y for yes

extract will search through the cab files, and will extract from whatever cab it fines (I think win1_11.cab
)

When comeplete, remove floppy, reboot computer