Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store...

• Please log in to reply

hatuttle

hatuttle

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have iTunes installed, and each time I try to connect to the iTunes store i recieve the message:

iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store. The network connection was refused.

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network settings are active, then try again.

I have tried EVERYTHING suggested by iTunes support and Microsoft support. Any help would be very appreciated.
H. Tuttle

Advertisements

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Do you have a firewall? Possibly your firewall is blocking you from connecting to iTune Store. Trying adding iTunes Store to your firewall exception list. Then reload iTunes and try to connect to the store. Let me know if this works.

hatuttle

hatuttle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Jiff,
Yes, I turned off the firewall. I've added to the exceptions list. I have done everything. The message does indicate a network problem. I've contacted both Itunes and Belgacom (my adsl provider). They both blame each other for the difficulty. Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Heather

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
What version of iTunes are you running? iTunes 7 is the current version. If you haven't, upgrade and try to connect again.
Download iTunes 7.

A couple questions...
Are you using a Mac or Windows? Have you ever been able to connect to the iTune store in the past with your computer? If so how long ago? Also, are you using the same computer to log on to Geeks to Go, to try to log on to iTunes store?

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
One other question, are you using Norton AntiVirus or Firewall?

hatuttle

hatuttle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Jiff,
I do have iTunes 7. I just received an iPod for Christmas and downloaded it then, so I've never connected to iTunes prior to then. I have Windows XP. I've installed SP2. I went so far as to uninstall SP2 per the recommendation of Belgacom - which yeilded no results. I use the same computer to contact GeekstoGo as I do to attempt to access iTunes. I have Windows Security and Norton. The firewalls are disabled in both - as far as I can tell. I live in Belgium (we are a military family living overseas), and our computer utilizes Belgacom as our ISP - and I use Internet Explorer as my web browser. I have no problems accessing the internet at all. I simply cannot get to the iTunes store. I've tried to the US iTunes and I've tried downloading the Belgian/French iTunes. Both have the same outcome. I've cleared my DNS cache as well as uninstalled iTunes - still nothing. I've done a number of other things at the recommendation of Belgacom, and the iTunes websites recommendations.

I don't know if this will help, and it may be a completely different problem in and of itself, BUT - I purchased a Fisher Price FP3 player for my daughter for Christmas. It has a similar type of setup - you can download music from their FP3 player online song and story store. I receive a couple different windows before I'm refused access. Here's what they say:

WINDOW 1
To browse the store, you need to activate your FP3 player software. Do you want to activate your software now?

I click YES

WINDOW 2
Cannot perform activation. You need to have administrator privileges to perform this operation. Please contact your administrator.

My user account definitely has administrator privileges. I thought maybe since we are outside the US that this is the reason I couldn't activate the software...

Anyway - thank you for your time and help. I hope this info helps and gives you more clues.
Heather

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I know that Norton causes this problem a lot. To see if it is Norton load iTunes again select iTunes help menu > Run Diagnostics. Select Network Diagnostics. Hit OK. Copy the text from that window and post here. This will give me an idea if it is your firewall or a different problem.

hatuttle

hatuttle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay - Here you go.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Dell Computer Corporation DIM4500
iTunes 7.0.2.16

Current user is an administrator.

Network Adapter Information

Adapter Name: {483F2708-2A14-46AF-BC46-9A23EAD0CAB8}
Description: WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
IP Address: 81.247.65.80
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 81.247.65.80
DHCP Enabled: No
DNS Servers: 195.238.2.22

Adapter Name: {D8BB6F5C-F215-4670-B3E3-EB6223C68A95}
Description: WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
IP Address: 172.186.113.107
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway:
DHCP Enabled: No
DNS Servers: 205.188.146.145

Network Connection Information

Active Connection: bg5
Connected: Yes
Online: Yes
Using Modem: Yes
Using LAN: No
Using Proxy: No
SSL 3.0 Support: Enabled
TLS 1.0 Support: Enabled

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is off.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was unsuccessful.
The network connection was refused.
Connection attempt to iTunes Store was unsuccessful.
Secure connection attempt to iTunes Store was unsuccessful.

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

This tells me that it is a firewall problem. What we need to do to fix your problem is add iTunes store to your exception list. For help adding iTunes to your exception list have a look at the link that applies to you:

How to add a firewall rule to Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 1.0, 2.0, and 2.5
How to add a firewall rule to Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 3.0 and 4.0

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Edited by Jiff, 15 January 2007 - 01:07 AM.

hatuttle

hatuttle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Jiff,
When I open Norton, I pulled up the directions, and double clicked "Personal Firewall" as instructed. I received the following message:

You do not have the necessary rights to configure the item you have double clicked.

I went to my control panel and was going to attempt to remove Norton and I clicked the box that says remove. I received the following message:

A Norton Internet Security account with supervisor access must be logged on to uninstall this product. If Norton Internet Security is not running, click the start menu and log in. Set up will now exit.

What now?

Heather

Advertisements

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Heather,

Sorry for the delay. I had a family emergency.

Anyway, to recap, the problem you are experiencing is do to Norton, specifically the firewall as I mentioned earlier. We need to figure out a way for you to add iTunes to the firewall so that you can log onto the store, however you are experiencing some administrative issues is seems. I am currently looking into this problem to see how to work around it, if we can. I just wanted to drop you a note that I haven't given up, I had to leave town with some family issues.

Also, I found this great link with what seems to be your same problem. If you have some time, read through it and see if any of the advice found on this page will fix your problem. The "pros" are 'toonz' and 'b noir' so pay special attention to their advice.
http://discussions.a...ssageID=3197115
Let me know if you come up with anything that fixes your problem from the link.
Another option would be to post your question on that same Apple forum. If you want to try that here is the link: http://discussions.a...spa?forumID=797. Maybe they would have a few more ideas or some tricks up their sleeves to get your iTunes store going. If you do that, my advice would be to provide a link to this thread so the experts their can see what you have tried already.

In the mean time, could you let me know specifically what version of Norton you are running. I will try to look into the problems that you are having.

Jiff

hatuttle

hatuttle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Jiff
Sorry for the family emergency. I hope nothing too serious. I managed to contact Symantec and get some assistance through them regarding my inability to log on to NIS. They provided me some sort of update, then instructed me to delete NIS. They said that sometimes when spyware/adware gets onto a computer and is deleted, it sometimes takes files w/ it that are necessary for NIS to run properly.

To make a long story short - I deleted NIS and now I have iTunes! I'm a happy woman.

Thank you so much for your time and assistance! I don't know what I'd do w/o my Geekstogo.com!
Heather

PS - If you are available to assist with another problem when your family emergency is resolved, I have one more issue. Thanks!

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Heather,

Glad to hear that you got your iTunes store running! :whistling:

What is your other issue? I don't know if I can help but I'll take a stab at it.

Jiff

Grandma Deb

Grandma Deb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, Jiff.

I'm having the exact same problem. Can you help me please?

Here's what I get when I run the diagnostics:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 2400
iTunes 7.0.2.16

Current user is an administrator.

Network Adapter Information

Adapter Name: {B45AFDCE-0AE4-4669-A437-0BA0240BBB2D}
Description: Motorola SURFboard SB5100 USB Cable Modem - Packet Scheduler Miniport
IP Address: 12.4.149.129
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 12.4.149.1
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 12.193.118.241
Lease Obtained: Mon Jan 22 19:36:02 2007

Lease Expires: Tue Jan 23 19:36:02 2007

DNS Servers: 12.193.118.241

Adapter Name: {E5EA9A14-61D2-4BBE-BBFE-247F6C95CF33}
Description: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
IP Address: 12.4.149.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 12.4.149.1
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 12.193.118.241
Lease Obtained: Mon Jan 22 19:36:02 2007

Lease Expires: Tue Jan 23 19:36:02 2007

DNS Servers: 12.193.118.241

Network Connection Information

Active Connection: LAN Connection
Connected: Yes
Online: Yes
Using Modem: No
Using LAN: Yes
Using Proxy: No
SSL 3.0 Support: Enabled
TLS 1.0 Support: Enabled

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is off.

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Grandma Deb,

To keep things clean it is helpful to start a new topic even if your problem is similar.

With that said your problem looks very similar to hatuttle's problem. After taking a quick look at your log, my guess is that you are running Norton and the firewall is blocking it. If this is the case, all you need to do is add iTunes to your exception list. For help adding iTunes to your exception list have a look at the link that applies to you:

How to add a firewall rule to Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 1.0, 2.0, and 2.5
How to add a firewall rule to Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 3.0 and 4.0

Try to add iTunes to your exception list. If you can get it added try to run iTunes Store again to see if it works. If you can't get it running, please start a new topic of your own and I would be more than happy to try to help you get your store running :whistling: