Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Question

• Please log in to reply

The_Mage

The_Mage

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have one 256 PC2100 DDR stick of RAM and one 256 PC2700 DDR SDRAM. Why does it add up to 504 MB of RAM?
The reason I am asking is because I recently got Quake 4. It needs 512 MB RAM. When I click play it looks like it is starting, and then the screen goes black and it goes back to my desktop. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Computer:
RAM: 504 MB
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz
CPU Speed: 2411.6 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Hard Disks: C: 14.0GB | D: 55.5GB | G: 32.6GB | H: 4.7GB
USB Controllers: 4 host controllers.
Firewire (1394: 1 host controllers.
Manufacturer: Award Software, Inc.
Product Make: PCV-RS312(UC)
BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 051403 ASUS 42302e31
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. KIRIN-V
Modem: U.S. Robotics V.92 Fax Win Int

Edited by The_Mage, 12 January 2007 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

Spidar

Spidar

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
The memory values are approximate, being off by that much is normal. Quake 4 is a very graphics and ram intensive. Being that, 512 is probably the bare minimum you will need to get it to run but it may be quite choppy. If you want to be able to run the game smoothly you will probably need at least a gig.

Edited by Spidar, 12 January 2007 - 10:33 AM.

Quagmire_UK

Quagmire_UK

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
its because 2100 and 2700 arent fully compatible, u can run them but it will run the 2700 one at the speed of the slower one, thats why it doesnt add upto 512mb, and if i was u, i would use more RAM than 512 to play Q4, its quite demanding

The_Mage

The_Mage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, that is what I was thinking abut I was not entirely sure. Thank you. I will be getting more RAM, but at the moment I don't have the money.

The_Mage

The_Mage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Another question:

I was talking to my aunt and she said there was a way to emulate a drive so that it acted as RAM. I am not sure what she was talking about, or if it is possible. I have a 32GB slave that has nothing on it, and I was wondering if there was anyway that I could use that.

Quagmire_UK

Quagmire_UK

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
are u looking for 32gb of ram mate? lol, im not sure if u can do it like that, but a HDD is designed for storage so im guessing that it would be very slow acting as ram. if u get a reply that says u can and it is awesome, PM me!!!!, i could do with 200gb of RAM, that would be amazin

The_Mage

The_Mage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

are u looking for 32gb of ram mate? lol, im not sure if u can do it like that, but a HDD is designed for storage so im guessing that it would be very slow acting as ram. if u get a reply that says u can and it is awesome, PM me!!!!, i could do with 200gb of RAM, that would be amazin

No, not 32GB of RAM. But using the HDD to "act" as RAM. I know it would be slow as RAM, but is there a way to use that drive to give the effect of RAM.