Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer is making bad sounds

• Please log in to reply

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ever since I bought my computer it has been slowing down. I have had it for only about one year, and after I was connected to my schools network (which is notorious for killing computers) it has decreased significantly. In the past week 10 new files and 2 viruses were added to my computer. My antivirus detected and elminated the viruses, but the files are listed as a "security threat." When I search the file name/path they do not exist.
Help?? :tazz:
~Q

Advertisements

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Have you checked sites such as symantec for manual removal instructions? You might need to go through the registry and manually remove any entries pointing to those files. Also check under your services list to see if any other processes are running that look suspicious. You also should run several antivirus applications to remove spyware, adware, hijackers, etc. I use about 3 or 4 different ones at a time when I check. Some you really might wanna try out are AdwareAway, Adaware, Stinger.exe, and trend micro has an online scanner at http://housecall.trendmicro.com. I haven't been to trendmicro in quite some time, so I'm not sure about any updates. Of course you can google all of these. Hope this helps!

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I currently have SpySweeper, Norton 2005, Zone Alarm, and HijackThis running. I will look into the programs you suggested as well, thank you :tazz:
Since my computer is still making bad sounds when I turn it on, and occasionally when it runs programs as well, I am looking into buying an external drive. I posted about that under the Hardware components forum, if anyone is interested in looking.
~Q