Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

every time i defrag/disk cleanup my comp crashes

• Please log in to reply

hannahjay

hannahjay

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi - not sure what kind of problem this is, but i have windows XP so thought id throw it here.

basically, every time i ask my computer to defrag, or try and do a 'disk cleanup' it crashes a few mins/secs into it.

it also crashes pretty much every time i add a new CD to itunes....

its driving me crazy? i dont know what to do...please help!!!

possibly relevant info - its a toshiba portege A200, approx 2 yrs old, up to date mcafee virus stuff (oh, and it crashed last time i tried to do an on demand scan), recently ran spyware stopper and deleted all the stuff it found, also i recently got a new external hard drive cos my laptop was nearly at capacity, so ive copied all of 'my documents' onto the external hard drive, and then deleted all the stuff i dont immediately need on the lap top (ie, most things)...the problems (crashing) was going on before i got the external hard drive so i havent managed to f**k something up doing that....

forgot to mention - laptop behaves itself otherwise, i can faff about on it for hours (internet, essays, music ete (except uploading CDs)) - its just when i ask it to defrag/disk clean/upload CD to itunes/and possibly do a virus scan...

ooh, and also, like i said i copied everything onto the external hard drive and then deleted everything from my documenst except approx 8G of music...but when you look at the properties of my C drive, it still says that there is only 14G free space? what is taking up so much space? (i have 40G)....(this was why i was originally trying to defrag and dlean up, to see if i could get rid of some extra luggage?)

im totally at a loss! any suggestions welcome!

thanks, from a computer (semi) illiterate student doctor!!! x

Edited by hannahjay, 12 January 2007 - 12:48 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do a prefetch

start>>run>>type in>>prefetch>>>ok

go to edit>>select all>>on any blue file right click and delete

try this cleaner

http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

read the page first

hannahjay

hannahjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
which one do i do first? ...the prefetch or download and do the cleanup thing?

dont want to make anything worse by doing things the wrong way round!

thanks!! Hx

ps - curiosity just got the better of me and i went to run/prefetch to see what happened - when you say select all and delete any blue ones? do you mean delete everything that appears on the screen? when you do edit and select all all the 'files' that have been are then automatically highlighted in blue? do i delete everything that the prefetch finds??? sorry if im being a dunce! Hx

Edited by hannahjay, 12 January 2007 - 06:18 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do the prefetch first
then cleaning
then try a check disk
MY COMPUTER>>RIGHT CLICK PROPERTIES>>TOOLS>>CHECK NOW>>CHECKMARK BOTH BOXES AN START>>THEN RESTART

checkdisk takes about 1 or 2 hours so be patient

hannahjay

hannahjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok - so in idiot terms....

1 - do the prefetch and delete everything that comes up
2 - download and do the thing from the cleanup website
3 - do check disk that you just said

....is that right?

sorry - im scared im going to do something wrong! ill do it if you say yes! :whistling:

thanks so much for your help xxx

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
1 - do the prefetch and delete everything that comes up
2 - download and do the thing from the cleanup website
3 - run cleaner youll be amazed on how much crap it will clean
4 - then try to defragment your disk(if it crashes again then)
5 - do the check disk

If you download or install music it can create alot of fragmented files
and it can take up lotsa space awell

cleaner should clear and help you gain some of that space back

hannahjay

hannahjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi - so, i did the prefetch, and then downloaded and did the cleanup from the website (i think it deleted about 1.2G). it completed a defrag without any problems.

so i then did a 'disk cleanup' and it crashed a few mins into it... :-(

soooo, i went to do a check disk, but when i right click on my comp then properties, there is then no 'tools' to click on? there are options to click on 'general, computer name, hardware, advanced, system restore, automatic updates and remote'...but no 'tools'?

what should i do now?

thanks for this, hannah x

Edited by hannahjay, 13 January 2007 - 06:14 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you click on computer>>right click on C:DRIVE>>then properties>>tools>>checknow>>check both boxes>>click start

it will say something like cannot check disk because another program is in use

so at that point restart and it will check disk and repair

as for the clean-up crashes if this dont repair it ill ask someone to help
you may need the xp cd to do the necessary repars if cleanup disk is damaged

Edited by rushin1nd, 13 January 2007 - 06:33 AM.

hannahjay

hannahjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
did the disk check, it said everything was ok...

ran another 'disk cleanup' from the start menu...crashed again! (even quicker than last time too)

do i need to hunt in the hidden depths of my room to find all the CDs and stuff that came with the laptop? if so, which one in particular do i need?

thanks.... Hxxx

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
In my signature there is a link to tuneup trial.
Download the program. On the second tab run disk cleaner and registry cleaner(if it crashes running the disk cleaner the restart and do the registry cleaner.) Then on the optimize tab run the registry defrag.
Did you change any hardware - besides external drive or update from microsoft or add new software before this started to happen.
Also can you right click on my computer >propertities>hardware>device manager. click on the + sign next to cd/dvd rom drives. Any yellow or red marks.

Advertisements

hannahjay

hannahjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi - i did everything you said. no crashing whilst doing all the tuneup stuff, and managed to defrag through that too...all good. there are no red or yellow marks where you said to look.

once id done everything you said, i ran a 'disk cleanup' form start menu to see what happened....crashed after a few secs. :-(

as far as im aware, i havent changed any hardware. and also, cant think of any software ive added (apart from the external had drive), i have upgraded to newer versions of iTunes as ive been prompted when ive entered iTunes etc. cant think of anything else ive done though?

hannah x

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
give this a try

Click start then run, type cmd then press enter

At the command prompt type fsutil dirty query c: (or the relevant drive letter). This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows not to check that particular drive on the next reboot.

Reboot, it should load to the desktop

Once Windows has loaded bring up another CMD prompt and type Chkdsk /f /r c:

Type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot

This should take you through the 5 stages of the scan and will unset the dirty bit.

At a command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

hannahjay

hannahjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it said that C: is NOT dirty...i tried to do the next bit (CHKNFTS etc...) but it said "CHKNFTS" is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. i tried it twice, taking the 'space' out and seeing if that made a difference, it didnt.

H xxx

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
do you have your xp cd with the product key

if you do try to sfc /scannow

from start
run..,type

sfc /scannow

your windows protection file should show
let this run it may ask for the xp cd so have it handy
after to which you can do a repair with the cd
on the other hand it may not ask for disk

heres the repair instructions for xp

This is to repair XP

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

you wont lose any data...just update windows

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

hannahjay

hannahjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
have just been through all the CDs etc that i got with the laptop, i dont have anything that appears to be an XP CD. i have a toshiba portege a200 product recovery DVD-ROM that says in big letters it will remove all my information etc when used, and ill lose any software ive installed. so im guessing thats not what your talking about.

my computer came with XP installed on it already...all i had to do was install office (and my sister has since lost the office installation CD)

the only other CD i had in with everything were another 2 toshiba CDs that say 'additional software' on them.

am i screwed....?

Hxxx