Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse right click function disabled

• Please log in to reply

jharp

jharp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I cannot right click with my mouse. I do not know if a guest user on my PC attempted to copy images from a website and had the function disabled or what but I can no longer right click. Instead, the primary button is the only one operational. Sometimes I get a message to send the error message, regardless of the choice I make - all windos close immediately following. Please advise. Thank you

Joseph Harper
[email protected]

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

1. Try a different mouse. If that fixed the problem, stick with the new mouse. If not, go on to the next item.

2. Check the Mouse settings in Control Panel.

3. Check the Mouse in Device Manager (right click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager). What does it show? Highlight the mouse, right click, choose update driver. If that doesn't help the problem, go back to the Device Manager and uninstall the mouse. Reboot the system and allow Windows to reinstall it.

3. Try a System Restore to a day prior to the problem showing up.

Please post the results, good or bad.

jharp

jharp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you...

I completed a system restore prior to registering to no avail. I also check the mouse settings in the Control Panel (still set to default settings). I made sure the reverse primary click option was not selected. I even tried it but that actually made the problem worse.

I then followed the advice I had not tried, I uninstalled the mouse, restarted, same deal. When I left click, I get a right click drop down menu. When I right click, my system freezes up and remains that way until I hit CTRL ALT DEL.

I don't have a spare mouse at present but I will get one and get back to you. Thanks for the assistance.

JH

jharp

jharp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello LindaGail,
Thank you.

I know the original post was several weeks ago; however, I was asked to post results good or bad and I just completed that task Feb 4. I replaced the mouse & keyboard to resolve the issue. Thanks again for your assistance.

JH