Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP reboots when opening software for external drive

• Please log in to reply

NikK

NikK

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I'm not that experienced with computers, so please bear with me. Hope somebody can help! :whistling:

I just got a new computer (HP Pavillion a1640n, XP Media Center 2005, Intel Core 2 Duo) and I'm trying to transfer my files from my old computer to the new one. I thought the easiest way would be to download to an external hard drive and then upload to the new computer. The external drive I bought is Storage Vault (Kaser Corp) 250 GB 2.0 USB. My USB port is the same.

I downloaded from my old computer, no problem, and now I want to upload to my new computer. The problem arose when I installed the vault program from the mini-CD (Regen.exe) in order to access the files on the external drive. XP recognizes the drive but when it starts to open the vault program, it immediately reboots my computer. When this first happened, the program was listed in my start up and XP would start up but then immediately reboot. I managed to get it out of the start up programs (via msconfig) but it's still rebooting if I try to open the program. It starts to open it but then reboots. Does anybody know what's wrong? Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Most external hard disks don't need any third-party software such as the 'vault' you mention which is giving you problems.

Windows XP should see the drive as simply another "Local Disk" and assign a new drive letter to it. Then it's just a case of clicking on that drive letter to access it's contents, like any other disk. have you tried that?

It's my belief that the 'vault' software is not compatible with Windows MCE unless the 'vault' documentation specifically says it is. MCE is very choosy when it comes to compatible software, much more so than XP Home or Pro. See if your external drive will work without it like most others do, even if it means having to copy stuff from your old PC again, this time without using 'vault'.

Edited by pip22, 12 January 2007 - 04:30 PM.

NikK

NikK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

There doesn't seem to be files I can access when I open Windows Explorer. It recognizes the external drive as "J" drive and it has 4 files in it, 3 of which are pdf files, and the 4th one is an application file (Regen.exe). I used the Regen (vault) program to download the files from my old computer. They are there but I don't seem to be able to access them unless I open the .exe file. The instructions say that's what I should do as well.

Is there some other way to access them so I can just move them to a drive on my hard drive?

Thanks!