Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

recovering data from hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

tylerhollyfield

tylerhollyfield

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have "recovered" my computer several times and have never had this problem. By "recoverd" i mean by putting the in System Recovery CD's that my Sony Vaio computer came with which restores the C:/ drive to factory default, but keeps drive D:/ still in tact so i dont lose any valuable information.

Recently i did the System Recovery and everything went well but when i went to access the data that i had left on D:/ something was different. When i try to look at my D:/ through My Computer, or through the "Explore", it sais that D:/ is not formatted, and asks "Do you want to format it now?". I've never had this message before and alwase had access to my D:/ with no problems. I have a feeling that all my information is still on this drive and i was wondering if there is a way to see for sure if its all gone. I have a feeling if i click "yes" when it askss me to format the drive, then it will erase all the data that i 'think is still there...?

So my question is, how can i get the data that i (think) is still on my D:/???? Or how can i find out what is on my D:/ if there is anything on it..

Thanks guys i really appreciate any response!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Is drive C using the FAT32 file system or NTFS at the present time?

My thinking is that if C is FAT32 by default when it's recovered, but D is using the NTFS file system, then C won't be able to see the files on D.

If that's the case, C needs to be converted to NTFS with the built in conversion tool before it can read what's on the D drive.

I've taken a lot for granted here, I know. but only because that's how my recovery works. I have to convert my drive manually after recovery.

Edited by pip22, 12 January 2007 - 04:10 PM.

tylerhollyfield

tylerhollyfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm not sure, i dont know how to check? Can i quickly switch it over and be able to view the files on my D:/? How would i go about doing this?