Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any useful suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

Mikes Mirth

Mikes Mirth

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
hi, just became aware to me that my old computer is currently running on a 16mb 3DFX Voodoo3 graphics card, it seems to be struggling just abit with things such as watching movies. Now im thinking of upgrading to either 32 or 64mb graphics, would i be able to get cards of such size with my motherboard: MSI MS-6147 Intel GTL+?
just to add some more relevent specs: WinXP Home Edition, 256SDRAM, Intel Pentium3 450MHz 512kb cache.
cheers, if theres any other specs you need to know just say and ill get them off everest :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Changing the graphics card is a fruitless exercise because the rest of the system is, to put it bluntly, underpowered. Its akin to putting a Ferrari engine in a Mini.

The fact of the matter is, the system can only just cope with XP. Add anything extra to the mix and you have a system that struggles to run XP, never mind do anything else.

In all honesty, if you feel you need to improve just the ability to play movies, then you need a more powerful system than that you have now.

Mikes Mirth

Mikes Mirth

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
what exacly do you mean underpowered? and it has no problems running XP infact it probably performs better than my friends 1ghz laptop, it was a simple question of would my mother board support a graphics card of atleast 32MB graphics card to make certain things run smoothly, the problem i had with playing movies was that i hadnt realised i had DDSRAM in the slots which isnt supported so i was only getting the benefit of 64MB ram wich in my eyes explains the problem with video playing. but thanks anyway

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Never mind, your banned.....

Edited by james_8970, 12 January 2007 - 11:07 PM.