Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Invalid Partition Table

• Please log in to reply

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Wasn't sure where to put this question, but I figured here was as good as any.

Well this is what I did:
I knew it was a quick and most likely dirty way to do it, and I was right, but anyways I had winxp and openSuse 10.2. I had decided I was going to remove Linux and put Windows Vista on my PC. So I went to control panel>administartive tools>computer management>disk management and deleted the partitions created by Linux and then reformatted them with a new NTFS partition.

After restarting the obvious happened, Grub loader error. So I used the winxp disc and recovery console and typed

fixboot c:
fixmbr

after doing this and rebooting every time I try and boot to the harddrive I get:
Invalid Partition Table

....I have tried installing WinXP back to it, but whenever it gets into the setup copies over the files and then restarts it brings up the Invalid Partition Table again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am not 100% sure on how to fix this...

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there any data you need on the PC

Will it have XP and Vista installed

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
No I don't need of the data that was currently on there, I had already backed it up because I knew it was going to mess up,, I was tired and just did it....

Yes it will have both winXP and Vista

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can either use the hard drive manufacturer's set up utility or boot and nuke, boot and nuke will take an hour per 25GB of hard drive, once complete, you would install as a clean install

Creating a multi-boot configuration that includes Windows Vista
To create a working multi-boot configuration, install the oldest version of the Windows operating system first. Then, install each newer version in order. Every new Windows version preserves backward compatibility for starting earlier Windows versions.

http://support.micro...kb/919529/en-us

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so to format a 200 GB Hard Drive, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Sweet, sounds good Keith.

Guess I forgot about trying my hd setup disk....but I'll probably use Boot and Nuke to try it out. Its about 160GB harddrive and I don't mind waiting.

Thanks for the extremely fast posting...:blink:

**Edit**
After waiting about 5 hours for the program to finish the harddrive is in perfect working conditions again...I'm going to simply clone my backup harddrive over to the destination(recovered) harddrive and be up and running again. Once again thanks a bunch for the help Keith... :whistling:

Edited by Bobbydoo8, 13 January 2007 - 04:22 AM.