Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reformatting and Reinstalling Problems

• Please log in to reply

FluffyDude

FluffyDude

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Okay, little backstory first. I've been having some problems associated with viruses and spyware in my computer for awhile. So I installed new virus protection/spyware protection. Cleared all the spyware, but I couldn't get the viruses I needed to out so I just said screw it and decided to reformat the hard drive and start again. I got a copy of XP Pro from my instructor at tech school earlier today and I was pretty happy when I got home. Looked on the internet for an easy way to do this. Printed it out, still content.
So I reset the boot order so that my CD Rom would boot first so that the Setup cd would work, and then it went through the usual stuff. I press enter, accept the agreement. Still happy as a clam. I then delete the old partition and press C to create a new one at the maximum MB. It gets to 100% and then it decides to be a bad child and say that it could not create it because my hard disk/drive (I forgot which it said) could be damaged or unplugged or other assorted things of bad nature.
So now I'm not happy as clam. I tried it again and again. Everything from restarting the computer to praying to Jesus, and nothing has worked. My computer has declared war on me, and we shall not let it win!

So if you didn't want to read the little backstory here's the question. How do I fix my hard drive/disk or change whatever I need to to get my computer to install XP Pro and so I can once again be happy as clam. And not emo. Thanks in advance, just do what you can. I'm at the end of my rope here and this seems to be a great forum.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Fluffydude
What make and model of computer do you have Dell,IBM generic etc.

FluffyDude

FluffyDude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Actually, it was made this guy down at a computer shop around town. Nice guy, it was well done. It's an ASUS motherboard if that matter at all. 192 MB of RAM (yes, need more RAM) and I've had it for a year.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
do you have a floppy drive on the machine and do you have a floppy drive on the machine you are on now or access to one

FluffyDude

FluffyDude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yea, there's one on this computer and my pretty one that doesn't want to work.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok go here and download the 98se boot disk (to desktop will do)
Bootdisk
put a floppy in the drive(this will erase all data on the floppy) then click on the file to create the boot disk.
boot the bad machine with the floppy.
Do you know how to use FDISK

Edited by peterm, 13 January 2007 - 01:19 AM.

FluffyDude

FluffyDude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sure, and no I don't really know how to use FDISK.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Here is a guide -its for 98 but still the same. if you get stuck at a screen come back to me I will start fdisk on one of my computers
Fdisk

FluffyDude

FluffyDude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Cool, thanks. Just a question though. How is running 98 gonna help me fix XP? Probably a dumb question.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
no not dumb
the basic is trying to get your hard drive working.
I have not used the bootdisk from that site for a while so I am re creating one now so I can see if it has the format command on it. If not then we will put it on later if needed. Where it says to insert the 98 cd insert the xp cd and see if it will format the drive. After xp is loaded if you want to run NTFS there is a converter in xp to change from FAT to NTFS.

Edited by peterm, 13 January 2007 - 02:06 AM.

Advertisements

FluffyDude

FluffyDude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
okay, thanks, I'll try that and see if it works.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
If you like to make life easier. If the machine you are on now is xp then the format.com file is in C:\windows\system32
copy tat file to the floppy. When you get to the part of rebooting fdisk to format instead of using the cd you can use the format command from the floppy

FluffyDude

FluffyDude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Nah, this one is 98 SE. The boot disk created the partition, but when I tried to do the XP setup after that it still doesn't go through and still says the disk thing. I tried to delete the last partition on there, but it says that it's a system partition. And it said to be absolutely sure before I delete it. Sooooo, is it safe to delete it or what?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
did you format the drive?
you know you loose everthing on a format don't you

FluffyDude

FluffyDude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I think I may have realized another problem. My little disk with like 8 mb is listed as the C: disk, not sure if that matters. Yea, I know I lose everything.

Edited by FluffyDude, 13 January 2007 - 03:25 AM.