Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer screen(s) blank

• Please log in to reply

scottsea

scottsea

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Computer would not wake from screensaver this morning. Upon restart, computer beeps, and appears to operate like normal, but no login screen. I removed HD and placed in other computer and it loaded up fine. I ran chkdsk until all errors corrected (90+ minutes) and worked for a few hours without incident. Placed it back in original desktop and still blank screen. I've swapped out previous graphics card without success

Help!
Scott

Advertisements

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
What kind of system do you have?

scottsea

scottsea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Windows XP SP2, Intel P4 1.26G (I think), 512K

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Have you tried plugging the monitor up to another system (or another monitor up to the original desktop) to verify that it is not the monitor that is having the problem?

scottsea

scottsea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Monitor works fine.. I just removed graphics card, and plugged in monitor to the onboard graphics adaptor. Monitor works and I'm up and running again, BUT why can't I use my graphics card? I need it to run my two monitors.

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
It could be a number of things. What type of graphics card is it? You may need to check for driver updates.

scottsea

scottsea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Drivers are current. Simply the presence of the graphics card in the slot appears to prevent display to turn on.

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hmm... what about your bios settings?

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Check your power settings as well to make sure your monitor is set to always on. We've had some systems at work that would go into hibernate and the 2nd monitor would not come back on. It sounds to me like a settings problem.

scottsea

scottsea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The computer is always on. Has worked trouble-free for over two years. No settings or configurations have been changed. It's been a good workhorse. I walked away for three hours and came to it in this state.

When I swap the harddrive into the other cpu, it worked fine.

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Probably an issue with the slot then. I'd probably look into replacing it at this point.