Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sony AW-G170A drivers?!

• Please log in to reply

jez

jez

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi guys,

i recently bought a sony internal dvd burner. it plays dvds fine but it wont burn them. i have been advised that this is most probably due to me not having the correct drivers for it and since i bought it off ebay it didnt come with any to load up.

not too much of a problem i thought; ill just google the model number or have a look on sonys website. well, an hour of frustrating web seaches later and im back to square one. its like this thing doesnt exist! can anyone help point me in the right direction towards getting the drivers for this thing?

cheers,

jez.

sony- AW-G170A

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You'll search in vain for manufacturer's optical drive drivers, jez. They don't supply them any more now that Windows is no longer reliant on DOS. Windows now uses it's own internal drivers for all of them.

What does happen however is that as new drives are released, older burning software won't recognise them without an update to the burning software. Whatever burning software you are using, you should try updating it or even buying the latest version of it. Most can be trialed first to check that it's what you need before spending money.

Edited by pip22, 13 January 2007 - 12:41 PM.

jez

jez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hi pip,

thanks for getting back so quickly. ive checked the various applications that i use for burning; nero, itunes, etc. and they are all updated and running the newest versions. but the problems still there. i cant even drag and drop the files i want to burn onto the dvd icon in my computer. also i had this problem with my last cd drive - it played but didnt burn (although this only started after i took my comp in to have a new motherboard installed- and sadly this was far too long ago for me to moan to them about it) - its because of this that i bought this new drive. does this give you any ideas as to whether its a hardware issue or a software one? im not sure if this would effect it but would the slave/master pins have anything to do with it?

cheers,

jez.