Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Backtrack with Windows

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,

I've read some different guides on the web on how to dual boot with Backtrack (a Linux distro) and Windows, but I wanted to make sure I installed it the safest way possible. I already have Windows XP on my computer, now how would I install Backtrack? ( I only wanted to give Backtrack about 5 gigabytes of space, because I only use it for study purposes)

Advertisements

ricmetal

ricmetal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi

http://ethicalhacking.end0.net/?cat=2

i made the partitions that guy says to make (–> Linux swap (512mb)
–> Ext2 partition (10gig) - i also did the 512 fat32 but i dont think its necessary as i can use it in windws and its empty...).

then i followed this vid and installed backtrack on my computer

http://www.iplay247....nd_windows.html

works like a charm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you MIGHT want to use something like GParted to resize your current windows partition..you can make a live CD of it and boot to it to resize the partition...

BEFORE you resize a windows partition you will want to defrag, run disk cleanup, and a chkdsk to make sure everything is in it's place...then you can follow the instructions to resize the partition

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
To add to dsenette's advice, be sure to back up any important files. Whenever messing with partitions, even if it is unlikely that anything bad will happen, it's a good idea :whistling:

- Matt