Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-RW Problems. Can't copy files to disk.

• Please log in to reply

docgoblin

docgoblin

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I've been going crazy with this one for almost a week, and have decided to now consult the experts.
I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a Philips DVD-RW drive. The machine came pre-packaged with Sonic RecordNow software. My Grandfather is only comfortable with copying pictures to disk using the windows "copy to disk" feature. Unfortunately the Copy to Disk option in My Pictures has dissapeared. I've checked every forum I can to try to fix this but to no avail. I even tried a Windows repair which had no effect. There is also no "Recording" tab in the DVD drive's Properties box, as apparently there should be. The Microsoft site has a Registry fix for this that has you set the Drive Type to 1 or 2 for a recordable drive which should bring the Record tab back. The drive Type is already set at 1. If anyone has any advice I'd be happy to hear it.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
There is a Microsoft web-page covering your exact problem here:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=316529

Edited by pip22, 13 January 2007 - 12:33 PM.

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

There is a Microsoft web-page covering your exact problem here:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=316529

I've followed that to the letter but it still doesn't help. The article seems to pertain to CD-R and CD-RW drives, but does not address DVD-RW drives at all. I'm assuming the drive type number is the same for both types of burners. Someone suggested there may be a compatibility issue but given that the computer is a relatively new Dell and that the Recording function was there recently, I don't see how the drive can be incompatible. I've run Ad-Aware and SpyBot and show no signs of virus or maleware/spyware. I tried to do a system restore which didn't work. I also tried a Windows repair which also had no effect. If I put a third-party program in it will allow me to record with that program (Sonic, Roxio etc...), so I know the drive is functioning properly. The drive is even indicated in My Computer as a DVD-RW drive. But if you check the properties for the drive there is no Recording tab as there should be. It's very perplexing. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. Thanks!

Edited by docgoblin, 13 January 2007 - 01:55 PM.