Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

emergency boot

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I have XP and occasionally I can't boot or even get into safe mode. Where can I get information on making a CD I can boot from?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
What type of boot cd, because your (if you have) XP cd is bootable.

Please clarify wont boot? Is anything coming up on the screen?
Any beep codes?

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I have the 3 Quick Restore disks that my Compaq came with. Can they be used? I don't want to have to restore everything. I've done that and it takes half a day or more. Sometimes the computer goes into an infinite loop of booting up, shutting down, etc. Pressing F8 when it starts to boot sometimes will take me into safe mode and I can get to system restore. That usually helps. But other times the screenfull of gibberish that appears when you F8 it just stays there. I just thought that there ought to be a single Cd that would allow me to get to the Safe Mode. I see some Recovery Cd's on eBay, but don't know what they are.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Sounds like you need to "repair" XP or run checkdisk on the files.
See if these links will help. One is making a windows install CD from recovery disks and the other is boot disks.

Install CD from Recovery
BootDisk.com
We can give you more detailed info as you get furthur along.

FYI: If you can borrow a XP cd, you can run recovery and checkdisk easier.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi wright3279,

Sorry to hear about your troubles Boo. Whenever anything like that starts bugging my PC I go to the "Start Here" page in the malware forum.

Most of the time if you start at the top and follow all of the steps that they have posted there you can fix your trouble yourself but if its still happening then do the HJT thing and post a log.

I like that forum because it's only the staff people who are allowed to respond to your post there and its a lot less likely that you will get bad advice there too.

Hey, it's worth a shot right?

♥ Wendy