Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with making wireless card work with Linux

• Please log in to reply

mcsmc

mcsmc

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello,

I would really appreciate some help. I just installed Fedora Core 6 on a USB external hard drive for my laptop. I have Windows XP MCE on the internal hard drive. I have an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless card built into my laptop (model Sony Vaio VGN-FE670G). Fedora Core 6 doesn't include this device in the Network add devices list, so I looked up the driver for it and found it on Intel's website. However, when I read the Readme, it said I need the ieee8011 Wireless Stack for Linux. So, I looked for that and found it. When I tried to install THAT, it said The installation requires the compiled kernel sources or headers
against the matching kernel. These are typically found in: /lib/modules/\`uname -r\`/build" and "If that directory does not exist, or is empty, you likely need to install the kernel source packages for your distribution." Well, I don't know what those are, where to get them, etc. I tried to navigate to /lib/modules/\`uname -r\`/build, and can navigate as far as /lib/modules/\`uname -r\`. I can see the "build" directory within it, but cannot change to that directory. I don't know why.

Note: This is the first time in awhile I've messed with Linux. The last time was over a year ago, and I was messing with Slackware. Needless to say, I've forgotten what I learned with Slackware, and Fedora Core is different than Slackware.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The kernel source is a module which you can load, just like many of the other packages. It should be one of the rpms on the install CDs. You should be able to access it through the control center type of program or do an upgrade using the same CDs and selecting the additional packages.

mcsmc

mcsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

The kernel source is a module which you can load, just like many of the other packages. It should be one of the rpms on the install CDs. You should be able to access it through the control center type of program or do an upgrade using the same CDs and selecting the additional packages.

Thank you for your reply, information, and advice. I will look into that. Right now, it's doing an online update, and due to my slowish internet connection (not dialup, but it sure seems like it sometimes), downloading everything is taking forever. Meanwhile, that uses yum so I'm unable to install anything right now. I'll be sure to get on that once it's done, though. :whistling:

mcsmc

mcsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I made a thread concerning installing the driver a day or two ago. Well, I'm still basically stuck. I ended up reinstalling Fedora Core 3 times for various reasons. Regardless, all I want to do is connect to my wireless router instead of using a CAT5 cable. Here's what I've done so far:

Downloaded and tar'ed/make/installed the IEEE80211 Wireless Stack for Linux
Downloaded and tar'ed/make/installed the driver from http://ipw3945.sourc....net/#downloads
Gotten everything listed on above website under "requirements":

In order to use the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection driver for Linux you will need the following:

1. The binary microcode image, available here.
2. The binary user space regulatory daemon, available here.
3. The ieee80211 subsystem version 1.1.11 or newer.
4. Linux kernel 2.6.13 or newer. See README.ipw3945 for information on specific options required to be enabled in the kernel.
5. Wireless Extensions (v17) and Tools (v28)
6. For WPA you need a WPA supplicant compatible with the latest versions of the wireless extensions (v18 and newer).

For instructions on how to build and use the driver, please see the INSTALL document.

Actually, I didn't do number 5 or 6, don't know how.

I'm lost, need help, and am obviously not knowledgable in the least with Linux. I wish they would have included the driver for this obviously popular wireless card in the default install/configuration... buuuut they didn't. Either way, please help me?

Edited by mcsmc, 15 January 2007 - 06:10 PM.