Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power supply question

• Please log in to reply

shanem

shanem

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
first i would like to say thanks to everyone who replied to my last topic on my graphics card.
what i need to know is: My power supply at the moment is 300w, is there anything i need to know about if i want to upgrade it to 500w :whistling:

Advertisements

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
300 is WAY too small for anything but a minimal system. 500 is gonna be plenty as long as you have a single graphics card, that isn't too big. Just make sure its got the things you need. there are 20 and 24 pin motherboard connectors if you don't go cheap you'll end up with a PSU that can cover both. I'm not sure if they still make PSU's without the 4 pin 12 volt MOBO connection but just make sure its go, if your mobo needs it. (its easy to spot just a square 4 pin connection near CPU) If your graphics card needs PCIe power connection make sure that's covered too.

number one rule: DO NOT go cheap when it comes to PSUs you will regret it its worth a few extra dollars to get something dependable that actually puts out the Wattage and voltage that it advertises. getting a cheap one can end up in a burnt up CPU.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. The main thing is to stay away from low quality power supplies as they put your entire system at risk. Here is a link to the best source of information on power supplies that I have found: http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
Check out the sticky posts at the top of the forum. The have info on which ones are good, which ones to stay away from, power supply calculators....lots of good info.

shanem

shanem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thank you for your quick reply what i have is:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name Epox EP-4SGM8I (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX
and the psu i'm thinking of getting is a Q-TEC PSU 500W Big Fan LN PFC model no.13981
tell you the truth i'm a complete noob when it comes to the inside of a pc
will this product be ok or should i go for somthing like aTAGAN Dual Engine TG500-25 500W