Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i need help with internet

• Please log in to reply

defender13

defender13

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I just built my new computer and when i plugged my ethernet cable into it (my ethernet cable is plugged into a modem for broadband,roadrunner)i expected a signal that it reconized the cable being plugged in but it didnt.I checked my network connections and it says im not recieving or sending packets.I tried running a network setup wizard(didnt work.I tried repairing connection(didnt work).I tried anything that said create a new connection but i still don have internet on my new pc.I would appreciate suggestions so that i may continy work on my pc.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
did you get a setup disk with your modem, Have you run this?
right click on my computer click on propertities, click on device manager,
click on the + sign next to network card, Any yelow or red marks?
Cheers
Peterm

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
well my modem is hooked up to a different computer in a different room so i have an ethernet cable plugged into my motherboard running down the hall into that modem.I belive i ran the disk a long time ago for the modem and router on the computer with the modem and router hooked up to it.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
did you check device manager

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
yes there is no network card to click on just network adapter

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Same thing
no errors?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
on the computer that works wth the internet (computer 1) go start>run
type in cmd click ok at the command window typein ipconfig press enter
write down the ip the sub net and the default gateway
then do the same on computer 2 post both details

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
well it only shows 2 connections under the + sign.One is connection 1394 net adapter and the other is 1394 net adapter #2. I went under network connections in control panel and when i clikc on the it shows im recieving and sending 0.

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
ok i did that on the pc wih the router connected directly into it and i got

on the computer that was built which i connected by the ethernet cable to the one with the router directly into it nothing showed up.

Edited by defender13, 13 January 2007 - 08:41 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok edit your post and take out the address details.
on computer 2 go back to device manager and click on the network card- adapter and click on remove, reboot and see if xp pick it up

Advertisements

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
i just rebooted and i did not pick up that there was an ethernet cable plugged in.I checked network connections and it made a 1349 net adapter 3.

Edited by defender13, 13 January 2007 - 08:50 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
did you remove the other ones
make and model of network card please

Edited by peterm, 13 January 2007 - 10:13 PM.

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
yes i removed the other ones.I dont think its a network card.I plugged the ethernet cable into the back of my motherboard in the ethernet cable slot and thats how i got internet for my old setup.Then when i put the new motherboard in and plugged in the ethernte cable it did not recognize it.I'm pretty sure i dont have a network card

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok it is an onboard network card.

well my modem is hooked up to a different computer in a different room so i have an ethernet cable plugged into my motherboard running down the hall into that modem

Ok so is computer 2 ethernet cable running into the modem or into the router
or is it a combined modem router.
Could I have the make and model. If it is not a combined then make and model of both.
Do you have tcpip installed on computer2

defender13

defender13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
ok so today i went out and boght a network card,installed it and i had no internet connection.Then i took the modem(made by RCA) and the router(linksys) and put them on my newly built pc and the dell they were hooked up to now connects to the internet via an ethernet cable.To sum that up the custom computer now is hooked up to the modem and router(modem:RCA router:linksys) and the old dell is connected via an ethernet cable.Basically they switched places in the way that they are connected.

Still im not connected to the internet on my custom pc.

also i dont know if i have a tcpip on my custom pc.What is a tcpip and how can i check for it?

Edited by defender13, 15 January 2007 - 03:34 PM.