Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd/RW drive wont work

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Brand new computer, new everything. Running Xp. Problem is put a cd in and it makes a horrible noise. Doesnt do anything, just sounds likes it scratching cd. I know not giving a lot of info but my son but it so dont know all the specifics yet, trying to read thru everything. Any simple answer lol?
Okay wait heres the info: AMD Athlon 64 4200 & AM@ Dual Core X2 CPU 1GB 4200 memory, 300GB SATA Hard drive, 16XDVD-/+RWDrive.
Thanks for your help

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Does the tray open freely, without obstruction? With the tray open, get a flashlight and look inside for any possible obstructions. It may be that you got a bad drive. If it makes "terrible sounds" and there is nothing inside except a proper cd/dvd, you may need to replace it.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Yes opens fine, doesnt appear to be any obstruction, so I guess that means back to where it was bought? Oh yea let the games begin.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Try another CD/DVD and see if it does the same thing. I have had 2 CDs for games that were "off balance" causing them to vibrate in all drives.
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 January 2007 - 07:35 PM.