Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Dies At random!

• Please log in to reply

nubscaper

nubscaper

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey guys. Correct me if im wrong but i think im in the right thread. direct me if not.

So here's my problem: :blink:

I have been noticing some problems with my computer lately and I have turned to you guys after the rest of the Internet has proven not worthy enough to solve the problem. Here is reoccuring situation . I try to play a Graphically Demanding Video Game (I.E. Battlefield 2, Star wars Battlefront 2, Any Steam game such as Garry's mod or Half Life 2, Flyff, Maplestory) I am maybe Halfway through loading a map or level and My computer dies on the spot. It doesn't restart, It just dies. The weird thing is The little green light indicating my computer is on, Stays on. I have to start my computer again, But i don't get any signal on the monitor. Therefore I have to hold in the start button until it force shuts down, at which this point the green light turns off. Odd Huh? Well, I can browse the internet fine, I can't watch YouTube videos, and I can play 1 Game. It is called Stepmania (a Dance Dance Revolution simulator for your PC) It has not crashed once while i was playing this game. I am attempting to get more into gaming I would LIKE to buy Battlefield 2 because i'm very good at it, and it's very fun. I have heard some possible reasons for this problem are Viruses, Maybe my case isn't clean, Or i need to Update my video Driver. I have updated my driver numerous times to no avail has the problem gone away.

So there ya go. Pm me or leave a post here... Ill be watching! :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nubscaper...

Just by what you describe, it sounds like either the Video card or the Power Supply aren't up to the task. There is the possiblity of overheating, too. To check for this, download, install, and run SpeedFan on the machine to monitor temperatures and voltage.

Let me know what the high temps are.

wannabe1

nubscaper

nubscaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Does this help? im having trouble figuring it out.

Posted Image

Edited by nubscaper, 14 January 2007 - 11:19 AM.

nubscaper

nubscaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Does this help? Still having trouble figuring it out.
Posted Image

Edited by nubscaper, 14 January 2007 - 11:40 AM.

nubscaper

nubscaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Does this help? im having trouble figuring it out.

nubscaper

nubscaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
oh god... im sorry. my computer just froze up for a minute and i continued clicking. delete all of them but one please.

nubscaper

nubscaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
anyone wanna help me?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Overheating is the problem. Looks like everything but the HDD's are too hot.

Time to give this machine's innards a good cleaning with a can of compressed air. Your temps...none of them...should ever be much over 50*C.

nubscaper

nubscaper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
cool. thanks. Ill tell you if it works after i do it.