Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My (H:/BOOT.INI) file is missing!

• Please log in to reply

DANBRU

DANBRU

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I recently purchased a windows genuine advantage package after discovering the old copy of my friends corporate XP OS had an expired product key. But while trying to install the upgrade I received from microsoft, my computer goes through the initilization and copying of files off the cd then tells me..."SETUP WAS UNABLE TO CREATE, LOCATE, OR MODIFY A CRITICAL FILE (H:/BOOT.INI) NEEDED TO START WINDOWS XP. THE PARAMETER IS INCORRECT." So I opened my local disk and found the "boot" file but it's contents nowhere to be found. I opened it with notepad and there were no commands or anything. Can anyone help me here? is there a command I can enter? :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi DANBRU...

Let me get a little information from you about the machine and we'll get you fixed up. I suspect the problem is with this: H:/BOOT.INI

What operating system? Home or Pro?

Is the operating system installed on the C: partition?

wannabe1

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hey Wannabe1, all my hardware specs are there in my profile. I believe my OS is installed on the H: partition. This was done when my friend helped me install my new SATA drives. I'm running WinXP Pro. when I boot my rig, right before the windows logo comes up it says INVALID BOOT.INI BOOTING FROM C:/WINDOWS. Does this help any?

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Anyone? :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm

It's going to be difficult to find all the information to write our own boot.ini

Do you have the XP installation cd? You might try rebuilding the bootini from Recovery Console.

Microsoft Article

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I have the XP install cd. How do I go about doing that? :whistling:

Edited by DANBRU, 14 January 2007 - 08:36 PM.

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Are you still out there? :whistling:

quim88

quim88

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
DANBRU

try to go to bios(i dont remember how ESC, F8, F_)
there is some where were you can choose to restore the default boot..so look around and choose the default booot and F10 to exit and save.

OR TRY THIS
http://www.microsoft...;displayLang=en

if this didn't help google for ("Boot disk, boot.ini, boot disk for Windows XP PRO,...")

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you look at the Microsoft Article at the link?

DANBRU

DANBRU

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sorry Wannabe1, I didn't see that link. Thank you very much, both u guys,I'll try this and post back :whistling: