Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro, when loging on loops to shut down.

• Please log in to reply

NoSurprise

NoSurprise

• Pip
  • 9 posts
After doing a couple program file uninstalls thru the control panel,
I did a reboot to be sure the files were cleared.

Now, XP Pro lets me log in, loads my personal setting, then logs off, saving setting
then takes me of back to the press 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin'.

And it does the same thing in safe mode. loop-dee-loop!

I've done the chkdsk /r routine, no help.

I've spent 8 hour on this form and the web and can't find a similiar problem or solution.

I feel the system.ini or win.ini may have been corrupted.

NoSurprise :whistling:

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Simple solution, depending on your setup this could be easy for you or not.

I would take the harddrive out of the messed up computer, change the jumper to slave, plug it into another working computer, and then backup all the files on that harddrive. After backing up the files then change the jumper of the harddrive back to master and plug into the messed up computer. Now reinstall WinXP and then put the files back onto it. Easier said than done right :whistling:

Well I'm not sure how much of a computer nerd you are, but if you need any help with the steps above then post it up.

NoSurprise

NoSurprise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Bobbydoo8,

I took today off from the computer and did something really fun, driving my Lightning drag truck.
Nothing like going 120mph in 11 seconds, on the racetrack of course.

I had thoughts of doing the exact hard drive swap Monday morning. :whistling:

I was trying to work out the detail of having two bootable drives on the same computer:
If the loopy drive has a virus could it transfer to the working drive,
could I also do a mirror of the good drive's system to avoid the day long install of XP, SP1, SP2 on the loopy drive, ect....

If I'm really lucky I can clean-fix the loopy drive without losing some software keys that are no longer available.

Regards,
NoSurprise :blink:

Edited by NoSurprise, 14 January 2007 - 11:19 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
just exactly what files you removed

hope they werent crucial ones

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Sorry, I've also been away from my computer.

Your loopy drive could potentially transfer a virus over to your good harddrive, but usually not. As long as you got avast! or some other virus protection software on your computer you should be fine. Just back up all the files from your loopy harddrive to the good.

As for doing a mirror of the good harddrive system no you cannot do it that way. After fixing the loopy harddrive with the day long install of XP and SP2 you can then make a clone of that now fixed harddrive. The clone copy of the harddrive will be like a backup of everything you have installed, XP SP2, programs, etc....But to have the clone copy you will need to have another harddrive just for storing the backed up copy.

Harddrive A Harddrive B
Fixed Loopy harddrive Good harddrive
WinXP System Backed up WinXP System

So now if harddrive A ever fails just clone Harddrive B back onto Harddrive A and you will have the WinXP system and all the documents you had on it whenever you made the clone.(Sorry I'm making this complicated, read a review on google if ya need more help)

The cloning software I use is DriveClone, but it isn't free.(about $30)

You could also download freeware software either
http://www.softpedia...vClonerXP.shtml

or

Google "Freeware Drive Cloning"

I highly recommend Drive Cloning, even if it means spending that extra $70.... because in the long run that drive clone can save you some serious time when trying to get your computer back up and running.

Hope you get'r fixed

Edited by Bobbydoo8, 15 January 2007 - 02:39 AM.

NoSurprise

NoSurprise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

just exactly what files you removed

hope they werent crucial ones

Only Nero and Roxio. I didn't want any CD problems.
Was going to keep it simple with just Windows Media Player.

Still working on looking at the sys.ini file.

Edited by NoSurprise, 15 January 2007 - 04:06 PM.

NCBIll

NCBIll

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have what may be the same or similar problem. Yesterday, the computer suddenly began crashing on startup. I gets to the beginning of displaying the desktop and then goes black. After a few moments, it begins a reboot and the cycle repeats. I was able to use safe mode to boot, go to Symantec and do a virus scan, but all it came up with was an adware file. Two hours spent with the HP chat person got me nowhere. dumprep0- k is checked, so I assume there is a dump file somewhere that might be useful.

I guess I could transfer all the valuable files to another computer on the network and then do a repair on XP, but if there is a simpler solution, I'd welcome it.

Ideas are welcome.

NoSurprise

NoSurprise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ckeck this out. It's very intense but it worked for me. :blink:

Just what I was looking for, a way to reset a restore point in an otherwise unbootable XP dirve
and delete the malware that caused the unbootale condition.

http://www.windowsbb...?t=61270&page=2

Why don't you guys recommand-use this method to fix-delete some of malware's letover garbage?

Thanks,

NoSurprise :whistling: