Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking help

• Please log in to reply

The_Mage

The_Mage

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sys Specs:
Field Value
CPU: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz
CPU Clock 2413.50 MHz
CPU Multiplier 18.0x
CPU FSB 134.08 MHz
Motherboard Name: Asus Kirin-V
RAM: 512MB (only 504 active, incompatible cards. No choice at the moment, tight budget)
(If there is anything else that you need please let me know)

I would not be using the program, but I cannot access BIOS. I have tried nearly every key combination to get into it. When the computer starts up it shows "SONY" and then flashes and then starts to boot. I am trying to O/C my machine to 3.0GHz. I have SpeedFan monitoring my temp. The problem I am having is when I start ClockGen sometimes it shows all four options, and sometimes it only shows "clocks" and "options." Is there a reason it is doing this? Also, when it does allow me to look at the PLL setup, I click the drop-down bar but I do not know what it is I am looking for. If anyone could help me please let me know.
Also, any advice on what to/if to O/C on my machine?

Edited by The_Mage, 13 January 2007 - 10:53 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Intel chips are not known for over-clocking. I am not aware of any practical means of doing that. AMD does not lock down their chips like Intel does.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
The reason clockgen only sometimes recognizes the multiplier is because it is locked, the only way to overclock older pentium 4 and pentium d chips are to raise the fsb. The easiest way to do this is to get into bios, however since you can't your only option really is clockgen or another overclocking program. check out some websites like www.overclockers.net, or www.overclocking.com and read some guides on overclocking.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont do it, you didnt build the system yourself if you mess it up you will have a great deal of difficulty fixing it because it requires Bios access, also if its a sony it wont have the best cooler on it and an already hot chip at 3Ghz at stock cooling you will be lucky if it will even boot. Overclocking the CPU also overclocks the whole system and your memory probably wont take it and the motherboard might not either. So best advise is: DON'T OVERCLOCK.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
In my opinion, I think Overclocking is dangerous, especially if you don't have a good cooling system, and what not. I would only do it if I built the computer myself, so I know whats what.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I've only ever overclocked on a spare PC, and it was entirely scrap. But I would NEVER do it on my main without sufficient cooling. But I do have sufficient cooling, so now my 4600+ runs at 3.0GHz per. If you don't have a spare box to overclock on, don't know how to, or don't have sufficient cooling - DO NOT TRY IT.