Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apati.sys error

• Please log in to reply

LunaT

LunaT

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Running Win Xp Professional edition, Encounted an error with file apati.sys, System would boot up and run for around a minute before the blue screen of death would pop up and the computer would reboot itself. A new graphics card has been installed recently (Ati radeon X700). Reformat was completet but error remained - Win xp cannot finish installing it'self.
For the love of pete how do I get this computer to run again? I'm going to cry X-X

Any help would be appreciatec,
Luna

Sorry - The error code that comes up is 0XC0000020 ... Session3_initialization_failed.
The error log while in windows cited apati.sys as the problem

Edited by LunaT, 13 January 2007 - 11:33 PM.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
If you need to backup any files then please repost before trying the step below because it will erase the harddrive completely....

****Also do not try this step without first getting a second opinion from one of the trusted GeeksToGo techies, I myself have used the DBAN Boot and Nuke, but I don't like the idea of telling someone that isn't a computer nerd like me :whistling: to use this software.*****

To Completely Erase all of the data on harddrive go to the website below and download the file you need(either Boot and Nuke CD or USB and Floppy version)
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

DBAN Boot and Nuke FAQ
http://keith.geeksto...bootandnuke.htm

Use the program to correct all the errors on the harddrive and then after it completes you will be able to reinstall WinXP and have it working once again.

Additional help can be provided for using DBAN Boot and Nuke, but I am waiting to see if a trusted techie from this site posts whether or not they believe you should use this program to fix your situation.

Edited by Bobbydoo8, 14 January 2007 - 05:02 AM.

LunaT

LunaT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
We have made the situation worse. Running in DOS, we deleted a couple of files (namely apati.sys and one called aya? (I forgot) ) I am going to 'Nuke it' tonight (BAckups have been made) Is there any chance this could be some sort of error with a power source? The computer's owner had that brainstorm today...
Thank you thank you for the link.
^^
I may be back with some more questions tonight after the nuke
Thanks again
-Lunat

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi LunaT...

Are you running on a SATA Drive? Have you installed the SATA/RAID drivers?

wannabe1

LunaT

LunaT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm unsure - how can I check that? (It's not my computer and I don't know what a SATA drive is exactly.)

Edited by LunaT, 14 January 2007 - 05:47 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Under the "Hardware" tab, click on the "Device Manager" button.

In Device Manager, expand (click +) Disk Drives. What is listed when this is expanded?

LunaT

LunaT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Would if I could mate - Now when I turn the box on The moniter barely lights up and won't go past the Xp loading screen.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of machine is this? Laptop? Desktop? Branded (like Dell or HP)?

LunaT

LunaT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm just going to list the specs off the bottom of the cpu - so here goes:

Intel P4 2.8 Ghz 400MHz DDR
PCS200 256MB ddr
IDE 7200RPm 40G Ui100
Intergrated video 661fx
300 watt power suppy
Intergrated 10/100 network

- Added components
Ati raedon x700 Video card
256MB Ram

Oh and it's a desktop Cicero)

Edited by LunaT, 14 January 2007 - 06:17 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...no SATA drive. Usually the apati.sys is associated with SATA's. Do you mean atapi.sys instead of apati.sys?

Advertisements

LunaT

LunaT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No - It was a apati/sys that was logged in the first error - now the moniter won't even fully power up (Dim) and the Xp loading screen freezes. I'm really sorry but I don't think I am able to check the SATA at this time - I can't access windows.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think the best option is to delete the partition and start over. When you format, be sure to use the full format, not the quick option.

As for the monitor...how does it look on the BIOS screen. Is it properly lit then?

LunaT

LunaT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't know how to change the partitions - And the monitor cable was loose ^^; So that's my fault. It's fine now. I Keep getting a atapi.sys error thou. (I'll blame minor dyelexia for quoting and refuting you before) I can get into a dos setup screen thing from the start by pressing delete -
If I let it load it just goes to the blue screen of doom.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you ever had Alcohol 120% or DAEMAN Tools installed in the machine?

LunaT

LunaT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No I haven't.

(The error that is comming up is 0x000000d1 (077cc07e4,0x00000005, 0x00000000, 0xf777a721)

Edited by LunaT, 14 January 2007 - 07:16 PM.