Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Read Only files

• Please log in to reply

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
The folders in the c drive are all marked as read oly files, and when I go the properties and change they automatically change back to read only, So how can I make it stay unchecked?

Advertisements

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi RamzaRuglia,

I think that the folders are all supposed to stay read only is why you can't change them but you can change the status of all of the files that are inside of each folder.

Why are you trying to change the properties of your folders anyway Boo?

♥ Wendy

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I'm trying to use the Dos box emulator. I read on its site that the reason i'm not able to play a game with it is because the game i'm trying to play is in a folder thats a read only folder. The files in the folder aren't read only.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can always right click the folder and click Properties and then un-dot the read only there. It will ask you about subfolders if there are any. All the read only does is lock other users from changing the folder for your user name.

SRX660

RamzaRuglia

RamzaRuglia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Yeah thats what I'm doing. I go to properties, uncheck read only, hit ok, it ask about sub folder, I hit ok again. Then I go back to properties and its checked read only.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please read this on your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

It will explain what you need to do.

SRX660