Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox gets stuck

• Please log in to reply

kjlee2112

kjlee2112

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi all-

This issue has only been occuring since I installed FF 2.0.

No matter what website I type in to navigate to, firefox hangs. In the status bar it says "Looking up....(website)", then gives me the 'website cannot be found' error. Then if I hit refresh, it says the same thing for about 2 seconds then finds the website. It happens constantly. I disabled all my firewall and virus stuff and it still did it. Is this a 2.0 glitch or something?

Thanks!
Kevin

WinXP media center
Dell inspiron 6000 1.6 ghz pentium m
768MB RAM

Advertisements

Stoic Guardian

Stoic Guardian

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i just downloaded FF 2.0.0.1 and i don't have that problem, well i do sometimes but not everything i go to any site

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
* Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
* Click Close below.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):

* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu..
* Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.
* Select all and click the Clear button again.
* Click OK to close the Options window

* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin

* Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.
after that
Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

potentially your version of Java is outdated and needs to be updated to take advantage of fixes that have eliminated security vulnerabilities.
Updating Java:

* Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6.0
* Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
* Click the "Download" button to the right.
* Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
* The page will refresh.
* Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language and save to your desktop.
* Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
* Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
* Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
o Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
o J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
* Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
* Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
* Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
* Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

kjlee2112

kjlee2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i did all the above and its still doing the same thing

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. It could be a corrupt file causing the browser to crash. Can you get online with IE?

kjlee2112

kjlee2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It started happening right after I installed FF 2.0. Now it happens when I use any browser--the four i've tried are FF, IE, Opera, and Netscape. I hate Netscape though, so I uninstalled it, but it's the same result everytime.

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Maybe adware? Altering his netowrk settings?

kjlee2112

kjlee2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
That's a possibility I suppose, but I'm very proactive when it comes to spyware/adware/malware protection

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

That's a possibility I suppose, but I'm very proactive when it comes to spyware/adware/malware protection

Yea,Im still learning.

You could try to upgrade the Firefox,Make sure there no proxies on if you use them,make sure your directly connected to the internet, go into FF and go look at the way it connects to to the internet.

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Because no one has solved your problem please post a hijackthis log in the malware forum so we can check for viruses and spyware.

Please go Here and download the newest version 1.99.1. Please be sure to save it to a permanent directory, such as C:\Program Files\HJT.

Then do a SCAN ONLY. Post the results in the malware forum with a detailed message of what is going on.

:whistling:

Edited by pyron81, 15 February 2007 - 08:04 PM.

KHC

KHC

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. It could be a corrupt file causing the browser to crash. Can you get online with IE?

I am having the same problem. Brand new computer running vista (I've had it four days). I don't know whether the site I can't view worked in internet explorer prior to installing firefox or not -- I probably installed it before ever trying to access the site. But I cannot get to http://alaskaair.com whether I'm using ie or firefox. I can access it fine on my desktop, connected to the same network. But not the new lap top. It's driving me crazy, and the alaska site is one I use very often.

I attempted to uninstall firefox -- I can't. When I go to control panel and to add/remove programs, it's listed there. But when I click on "uninstall" nothing happens.

I don't know what to do.

Edited by KHC, 17 February 2007 - 01:46 PM.

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi KHC.

In order to help you I need you to start your own topic. This is to keep everyone's topic in a separate area.

Thank you.

Edited by pyron81, 17 February 2007 - 01:54 PM.

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I hope we can figure what going on with there browsers, I really want to know....

I did find this at Firefox's site take a look see if you can find you problem there:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/support/

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
He has started a topic under Windows Vista help section. For more information please see there. Consider this topic closed.