Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

desktop icons open slow or not at all

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Need help with a strange problem. When I start the computer everything appears fine, I can open any desktop icon and it starts OK, BUT if I close any application then try to re-open it again it doesn't open OR it takes a few minutes to re-open (if at all). I've never encountered this before and we have 3 other computers in the house with no problems.

This is a new system that I built for my son, Intel P4 2.4 Mhz, 1 GB memory, 160GB HD, AGP video card, DVD RW, LCD monitor, Matsonic MS9127C mobo w/ VIA P4X400 chipset. I've loaded all the supplied drivers, I have a firewall running.

I've reloaded Windows XP twice already and still no dice. Any ideas? Thanks very much for your help.