Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crash HDD Drive after trying to Partition

• Please log in to reply

Jaysunde

Jaysunde

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem i'm having. Yesterday, I tried to split my Dell Dimension 5150 HDD using partition magic 8. Just under half way and it stops, saying it can't proceed - I restarted my computer only to find the dreaded Stop blue screen with the codes:

0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x86B2F150, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

After reading many articles I have tried numerous ways to solve this problem:
Booting in Safe mode,
Using XP reinstall/recovery CD (after pressing install on the XP disk, via the terms and conditions, it states that I have to enter a partition or reformat the Disk) - using chkdsk i get the message 'The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems',
I have run all the Dell tests and diagnostics which state the hard disk is fine,
The HDD is a western digital 1600 - I have run their own diagnostics which state the drive is ok,
I have also run several programs such as testdisk and partition recovery all to no avail.
I've reached a point now where I am willing to admit defeat and format the HDD, but there is some files I want from my hard disk. Is there anyway to do this; unfortuantly i only have to one drive in my computer - but i would be willing to purchase another if its possible to transfer the files on my problematic disk.

Any help would be superb

Ru

Edited by Jaysunde, 14 January 2007 - 01:48 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A stop 0x24 error screen means you need to run CHKDSK.

But as you've already run CHKDSK and its told you that there are unrecoverable errors on the drive, it would be wise to replace it. You can try and reformat it through the XP CD, but it may turn round after 100% and say it can't do this. At this point you'd have no choice but to replace the drive.

If you replace the drive now, there's a chance you can get your old stuff back before the original drive packs up altogether, but also there is a chance that the data you want was sitting on the part of the drive that's now been considered by CHKDSK as "unrecoverable". If that is the case, then you're out of luck I'm afraid.