Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost

• Please log in to reply

Rhionin

Rhionin

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Lately my computer has been really bogging itself down, and it's getting to the point where my whole desktop freezes until I open the task manager to find "svchost" using anywhere from 75,000k memory to over 150,000k even when I'm not doing anything.

What is svchost? Is it safe? Does it belong?
When I shut it down, my start menu turned into what looks like a mix between the old windows start bar and XP - half grey, half blue, all weird.

I have already run full system scans with AVG antivirus and Spybot S&D. Everything is clear, but svchost is still having a cow.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Please see http://www.computerh...nfo/svchost.htm

Rhionin

Rhionin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thank you. It's good to know it's supposed to be there. However, it's still taking up a whole lot of memory... My computer is still running extremely slowly. Luckily at the moment svchost is only at 50Mb mem usage right now, but I also have several other processes that I am uneducated on which are also taking a hefty amount of memory.

MsMpEng.exe
wuauclt.exe

Any clarifications on these two processes or why svchost is suddenly a processor-monster?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

You might try Process Explorer to see who/what all the svchost are related to.

Download here >>>
http://www.snapfiles...ssexplorer.html

Once you identify the culprit, you might want to decide if it's something thats supposed to be running on your computer. (Search Google)

As for your question on those other two processes... one is listed as a Windows Defender process, and the other is supposedly related to Windows update. While my description may not be entirely complete, it would do you well to Google the processes for yourself. Actually, Google is your friend and you can find info on practically any process you want.

makai

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Before you begin making changes to XP Services, I strongly suggest you read here:http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm When you do begin to make changes do so just a very few at a time and make some notes so you'll know what "broke it." "Manual" is a safe setting when you have any doubt. That way the system (or you) can start the Service if needed. I have few Services disabled. I have many set to manual. Those set to manual that Windows keeps starting I change to Automatic-the system needs them. Disabled Services will not run period. (Until you go back and change the status) By all means get Process Explorer. I don't know how I ever lived without it.