Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enable monitor mode....NEED HELP!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,

I am trying to enable monitor mode on my D-LInk AirPlus G DWL-G630 wireless card and I'm having problems. I am running Backtrack 2. I've done some work before with Auditor and I got monitor mode enabled fine, but I forgot the command, since I don't use Linux distros often.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll give it a shot....what do you mean by monitor mode? i'll research backtrack 2 and auditor but a little iinfo from you might save time

what EXACTLY are you trying to do

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Here's what I'm using it for.
Note: It's for research purposes
Monitor mode, or RFMON mode, allows a computer with a wireless network interface card to monitor all traffic received from the wireless network. Monitor mode is similar to promiscuous mode used for packet sniffing wired networks. It is also used for passive stumbling, which is a wardriving technique for determining the presence of base stations without active probing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...well..i checked out the backtrak website...and even downloaded the iso....and it looks pretty comprehensive...i did notice that it comes with kismet...which is designed for identifying wireless networks etc...have you tried that? also it looks like the backtrak website has a pretty nice forum as well

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I didn't know the site had a forum....I put a thread on it. They'll probably know what to do. I am familiar with Kismet. But to use programs like Kismet and other programs that monitor ALL traffic on a wireless network you have to have monitor mode enabled. Specifically I am trying to enable monitor mode for use with the program "Airoscript" Airoscript is basically a script that simplifies aircrack-ng with a click of a button. Airoscript is included on the Backtrack CD

Edited by ddiddy40, 23 January 2007 - 09:08 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...i was under the impression...(haven't used the stuff yet) that kismet and the like worked a bit like ethereal...where if you put them in "promiscuous" mode...they would catch all packets that cross in front of them...am i incorrect?

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
no your not incorrect. Kismet can find about anything (network name,MAC Address, packets) but it can't find a wireless network password. That's where Airoscript comes in. Kismet was mainly used for information to perform a wireless password crack in Auditor. But since Backtrack came out with Airoscript included, Kismet is sorta obsolete....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah right...there we go...i say stick with the backtrak forums...they've probably got a bit better info...also...i know you said that this was just for research...but...i'm going to close this before methods for cracking wireless encryption actually get bosted...