Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Westell Versalink gateway and Win98SE

• Please log in to reply

nannygoat43

nannygoat43

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi. I posted this topic yesterday under the Windows98 category because all I've been able to find out tells me this would be easier in XP and no one wants to talk me thru a Win98 installation. But, I wanted to post it over here as well because it really is a networking issue too.

I have a Dell PC running Win98se It has been connected to the internet using DSL and an older Westell modem. Now we have a MacBook in the house running OSX. I want it to share the DSL connection with its wireless capability. Verizon (our ISP) sold me a Westell versalink 327 gateway. (The idea being it is wired to the Dell and gives out a wireless signal that the Mac will pick up.) Turned out the Dell didn't have an ethernet port (oops--old modem was USB) but we installed one that works with it. Hooked up the Versalink and went thru the "activation" process that Verizon directed me to when I tried to open IE. That seemd to be setting up the account and configuring it. But, at least half the time when I open IE, it does not go to my home page but back to that same "activate my dsl" page. Strange. Sometimes if I restart the Versalink, or reboot, that will fix it. But not always. Meanwhile, having been poking around online I have found some documentation on how to configure the Versalink by going to http://192.168.1.1. I assume if I can make that work, I will be able to set some things like the name of the network, a password so everyone in the neighborhood is not on my wireless,etc. I was unable to get to that site but figured out it was because ZoneAlarm was on. Turned it off (which froze the computer a few times). Finally got it to be turned off and not frozen, opened the web page, and it asked for a user name and password. I tried my verizon account username and password but it didn't like them. Tried my Microsoft networking user name and password. Didn't like that either.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Westell says "ask Verizon--we make that hardware for them." Verizon says "we can't help you if you use Windows98" (even though they sold me this in the first place and said it would work). Microsoft pointed out all sorts of potential incompatibilities with an upgrade to XP. Oy.

Thank you!

Advertisements