Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Overclock my Intel

• Please log in to reply

John USA

John USA

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First of all hello!

My question is how to overclock my 1.7 intel celeron and what is the maximum speed that I can achive?

I tried in the bios, but there I couldn't change the VCore.. I increased the FSB, but there was no improvement only the system slowed down, so I backed up my old settings..

Here is my configuration:

MB MSI 645E Combo
CPU Intel 1.7GHz Celeron
RAM 512 DDR 400Mhz Kingston
HDD Maxtor 40GB 7200R ATA133

Please tell me step by step instructions,

Many thanks in advance of any replies.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks, to Go, John USA

Intel processors are internally locked to a multiplier so the only way you can overclock is with the front side bus. A lot of motherboards have bios setting that will lock the memory bus and video bus speeds so they don't interfere with the overclocking. If your MB does not have this feature you may be limited to a 10-15% overclock ratio because any higher will just overheat and overload the memory and video card. I took a celeron 2.66 to 3.20 before it just crashed the computer. Backing off to 3.06 it would run steady but the stock heatsink and fan could not keep up and it would get hot and shut off after a while. i gave up on it at the time and backed it down back to stock I imagine a newer aftermarket heatsink like a zalman would let you keep a good overclock going.

So i really think it would be better if you spent some money and get yourself a much faster Mb and cpu combo for your computer. Overclocking to 2.0 just doesn't make that much difference now that most processors are 3.0 and faster.

Edited by SRX660, 14 January 2007 - 08:58 PM.