Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer won't boot. Replace heatsink?

• Please log in to reply

chedwick

chedwick

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Gateway desktop computer that has intermittent booting problems. Most of the times, when you turn it on, the fan kicks on high, doesn't slow down, and the computer doesn't boot up. I tried replacing the CPU fan and applied new silver compound. I also cleaned everything out. But it didn't make a difference. I was told that I likely need to replace the heatsink, but that I have to be sure I get the correct one. I did some looking online, but was not able to figure out which one I would need. I'm not looking for anything special as the computer isn't used for much besides basic internet surfing. Does it sound like a heatsink problem? If so, how do I find out what heatsink I need?

This seems unrelated, but when the computer does boot up, I can't connect to the Internet. I listed that problem here http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry875113
I'm still looking for suggestions on that as well. Thanks.

Computer specs:
Gateway 420GR
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 515
Processor speed 2.93 Ghz
533 FSB,1 MB L2 Cache
Intel 915GV Chipset

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I doubt that you have a heat problem unless the heatsink was installed entirely wrong. I have held a heatsink in place on a processor with my hand and run it for 10 minutes like that.

When the computer does boot up does it act normally other than the no internet? If possible take a look in the computer management for any events: Open a Start>run window and type in

compmgmt.msc

and hit the OK button. Go to event viewerand see in the system events if there are any red or yellow marks. Copy down any error messages and by right clicking on them and click properties you can find more information on your problems.

Your other problem with connecting with the internet is caused by you trying to use 1394 to connect. 1394 is firewire. I think you chose the wrong kind of connection to look for drivers for to make your network connection work. You should be looking for RJ-45(standard network) drivers which is the type of connection for Intel Pro 100/1000 ports.

Heres your adapter.

http://www.intel.com...b/cs-012904.htm

The drivers for your model is the 3rd ones down here.

http://support.gatew...s...420GR&st=kw

Please post what you find here so we can find out whats wrong.

srx660

chedwick

chedwick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
On the Event Viewer in Computer Management, I didn't find much. In the System file, I had one error because Windows update couldn't connect to the internet. In the application file, I have two warnings (from different days) that say the same thing: "Windows saved user [computer name]\Owner registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use...." I think these were when I was trying to figure out the internet before, tried to restart, and it locked up. In the Security file, I have several failure audits for IPSec Services. I assume these are because it could not connect to the Internet. I also have a pair of invalid logon attempts, but I'm not sure what that is about. Besides these, there weren't any other errors.

I did figure out my problem with the Internet. I tried everything you said, and it didn't work, so I was beginning to think it was the network card itself. Then I remembered that I had thought that a few months ago when I was having problems, and had put in a new card. But I hadn't plugged the cable into the correct one. Opps. I'll put tape over the old one to prevent that again.

As far as problems when the computer is running, I think everything is fine except the Internet. I haven't really done much with it. I have discovered that it doesn't reboot. Each time I have tried in the past and again today, it will shut down windows and get to a black screen, but then does not reboot. I have to turn it off manually, then turn it back on.

So far I'm 1 for 2. Any more ideas on the not booting thing? I really appreciate the help.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
I'm not really sure what the exact situation is right now. I understand that when u reset the comp through windows u get a black screen and it doesn't restart. when the computer is off does it boot OK?

Try and look in the bios at the log does it have anything special about booting or reset.
To get there enter bios->advanced->event log information->view log

chedwick

chedwick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I checked the event log in the BIOS, and all that was in there were 5 errors of the keyboard not being functional from Oct 2004-March 2005.

I thought the computer was restarting fine now, but I guess not. It did restart just fine several times, but just now I have had problems with it again not restarting. Everything seems to be running fine when it does boot. But I do still have the problem that it does not always boot when turning the power on. I tried twice earlier this evening, and it wouldn't boot, but then tried again later and it did. So I still don't know what to do about that. I am slightly concerned about using it too much until I can get that figured out. I would hate to damage something more important (like the processor or something if it is a heating issue).

Edited by chedwick, 17 January 2007 - 08:44 PM.