Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my CPU Core speed

• Please log in to reply

Lorddias

Lorddias

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok guys I have a problem. My brother gave me a pc that is actually really good.. thing is, its a P4 2.4 ghz Multi thread code named north wood. My problem is, even though its 2.4 ghz, it only runs at 1.2 ghz. Heres a screenshot of CpuZ:

Posted Image

I'm trying to update the Bios, but everytime I go to run the intel bios update thing, as soon as I double click it, the program stops responding totally and I have to restart. Last date of my Bios is November 13th, 2001.. and the most recent are 2003, however, I cant seem to update it.

I looked at Intels website, the processor is fine with my motherboard, my motherboard is a Intel® Desktop Board D845BG. ANy other installer works fine, I already installed all my other drivers after formatting, before formatting I couldnt run the bios update installer, and after I format the same thing happens.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Did you download this utility?

http://support.intel...b/cs-013143.htm

You should also have the new bios already downloaded.

http://support.intel...rbd/ebubios.htm

Did you notice that your bus speed is only at 100. Your computer should be able to run DDR400 memory and that says your bus speed should be set in the bios at 200, NOT 100. You may have installed memory that is only DDR266 but i doubt it because then your bus speed would be 133.

SRX660

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is Speedstep technology in use, its the Intel equivalent of AMD's Cool & Quiet technology and what you're seeing is supposed to happen.

Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep for details.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Speedstep is used by intel for their mobile processors only. It is not used in a desktop computer processor.

Now i was incorrect in saying your FSB should be 200. It is 200 in my intel 3.0 computer with hyper-threading and the total FSB is at 800. Your processor is rated at 400 FSB total with a 100 bus speed. Now if cpu-z is saying it is a northwood 2.4 cpu, why do you think it is running at the 1.2 speed. If you go into your system info what does it say there?

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 15 January 2007 - 09:03 AM.

Lorddias

Lorddias

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Last night I finally got the new bios installed. That installer wouldnt work for nothing, so I made a floppy with the DOS iflash on it. Right after I restarted Bios went crazy saying I have a 533mhz System Bus Frequency processor and this motherboard only supports up to 400mhz.

Even though at 400, dont you think I should be able to get 1.8~2ghz at the least?

Oh yeah, I was looking in my device manager, and for some reason its showing 2 cpus, and in task manager it also shows that..

Posted Image

Edited by Lorddias, 15 January 2007 - 10:56 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Now i an wondering if you installed the wrong BIOS. HT technology is only in 2.8 533 bus processors and higher. Your processor should not be able to do what it is doing( showing 2 cpu's). I really think its something else in the bios settings that is not set right.

SRX660