Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep losing connection

• Please log in to reply

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I connect to the Internet using a Westell 6100 DSL Modem. The modem is connected directly to my PC’s Ethernet port with CAT 5 (no router is being used). My ISP is Verizon DSL. I have the modem configured to use the PPPoE protocol. I have a software firewall; Zone Alarm (free version, not the Pro). Whenever I play Guild Wars (Online MMORPG), the Ethernet and Internet lights flash madly. Even with a good connection, the Ethernet light blinks. When the computer sits idle (with no open apps) and when it is off, all four lights, power, Ethernet, DSL and Internet are solid green. I have gone into the Westell homepage configuration screen countless times. My connection profile is set up properly. My password is being authorized.

My problem is I can not maintain an Internet connection. As I type this in a Word document, the Internet light on my modem is out (again). In the middle of playing Guild Wars, the Internet light goes out.

I am also running Avast AV and a TC Active monitor as part of Moo Soft’s Cleaner software. With the exception of Avast, I have been running all of my protection software for well over a year. My connection problem is only a few days old.

Do I need to simply buy a new DSL modem? Verizon wants to charge me $80 for one. That seems steep. Is there a connection setting I’m overlooking that will help me to maintain my connection? Help, this is so frustrating.

Let me know if there is any other information I should supply. Oh and I have tried resetting the modem by depressing the back reset button countless times.

Thank you.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi,

Yes that is generally an indication that the modem is bad, and yes $80 is ridiculously high for a $10 unit but with the competition in broadband in most markets if you threaten to to go else where they're usually more than willing to comp the modem for the price of shipping. I don't know Verizon's policies but It's worth a try.

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thank you so much. All I could get from the Verizon tech help (always someone in India practically reading from a script) was that they would note I have a problem, blah, blah, blah. Time to shop for a new modem or a new ISP.

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I'm looking online to see about buying my own replacement modem. I'm running a Google search for "DSL modems". Do I have to get a DSL specific modem? I ask because I'm getting back a lot of "cable" and "broadband" modems. The Westell has a specific DSL jack, a specific USB jack and a specific Ethernet jack. I'm assuming whatever new modem I get will need those as well?

Edited by PuffGussy36, 15 January 2007 - 06:23 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I hear Ebay is a good place to look. The biggest thing is to make shure the one yu by is configurable to Verizons network. This won't mean much untill you set up a third party ADSL device for your service, the Verizon modems I've dealt with are set with a RVPI of 0 and a RVCI of 35. Tech support should be able to give you other specs like MTU and network identification.

millerman996

millerman996

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Yea but just make sure you get the right specs through Verizon Tech Support. I work for Bellsouth FastAccess Tech Support and we have a Westell 6100 as one of our supported modems. I know our vpi and vci is 8 and 35. I have had several customer's call in and they have been with Verizon and they switch over to Bellsouth and they have the Westell 6100. But that modem will not connect because of the interface's are diff and some of the configurations. So just make sure you get all the correct info...

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I posted in the Broadband Reports Verizon Direct forum. That forum is monitored by actual Verizon techs during business hours. They are currently "testing" my connection and have been for week now. My modem is out sync and they don't seem to know why. I'm seriously considering a switch to GWI as they service my area. Thank you for the advice and input.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I have verizon too and a Westell 6100 as well. I have to have it in my dining room where no computers are and all my computers are in my room. I cannot have it up here because of the bad phone jack line so its stuck downstairs and they are charging 91 dollars for the first half hour - hour to fix my whole line. Ridiculous!

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 25 January 2007 - 10:24 PM.

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Are they fixing or "testing" it remotely? Or are they sending out a tech to your house? Are you having a connection issue as well?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Was when I moved the modem up to my room. Everytime we call for a Tech they cancell the ticket before they come. They did this 3 times.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
They can first "test the line" from their station by sending a signal to your specific line. The automated system probably asked you to do this. They might be sending someone out as well.