Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Interesting Documentarys / books

• Please log in to reply

Daniiel

Daniiel

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Ive formed an interest in the whole Quantam Mechanics thing, kinda space, just random theories that are interesting.
Also stuff about the human mind and how we think and possible theories as to our brains working off a frequency and stuff.
Just interesting stuff.
Ive got a pretty big stash of Pbs NOVA documentaries but theres gotta be more out there.
Does anyone know anything ?

sorry
i thought i was in another topic
i feel like a jerk now

Edited by Daniiel, 14 January 2007 - 11:22 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Anything really in particular, quantumn mechanics, Space, random theories and the human mind cover a pretty wide swathe its like pointing to the atlantic and saying wheres the wettest bit.

You should try reading new scientist magazine thats probably your best bet, its a good read my dad even likes it and he is neither a scientist or an engineer.

Daniiel

Daniiel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks
ill look into getting it

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Any newsagent will have it its very popular, youll also find if you read newspapers and pay attention to the news that they have alot of stories credited to them alot of newspapers use clips of new scientist articles from that week or the week before for science and technology columns.

Daniiel

Daniiel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Oh sweet,
Im not sure if Australian newspapers have them
well interesting ones, they have like NEW PHONE and stuff that interests most people.
Do you know any cool documentaries?

MatthewG

MatthewG

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
For starters check out Stephen Hawkings or Brian Greenes books. They are an easy read and very entertaining. The one problem with this type of stuff is every entry-style book will go over what a black hole is, basic relativity, the flow of time, etc. This gets real annoying because you start getting less and less out of each book, because they have to assume you are new to the subject. I think you read the Hawking/Greene stuff and then search for books on a sub-topic, like relativety, or black holes, or quasars. The only problem is it will either be real basic or real complex. My college textbook is a good medium, if you read something like Einsteins 'Relativety' you may understand the words, but then equations with omega's and phi's pop out of no where and it doesnt explain where they come from, which makes it hard to really understand it without supplimentary material.

Anyways, if you want some specific examples just name a sub-topic and I might be able to give you a better idea of what to look for and what to stay away from. Talk to ya later!

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I have a great book of Stephen Hawking's - The Universe in a Nutshell. He writes in a fairly understandable way, and has a good sense of humor.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
As Warriorscot said New Scientist is great - available at every newsagent in Aussie. Another good mag that does articles that wont appear in popular mags or newspapers is Nexus magazine. They also feature a lot of other stuff - political, religions, earth mysteries, alien stuff and health - however, they frequently do stories on science (and suppressed science) that are very informative, interesting and challenging (well, to me anyway!) and the articles are all fully referenced so you have a great list of publications and references for further reading. You could check out their website and do a search for some of the subjects you're interested in before rushing out and buying. http://www.nexusmagazine.com/

Edited by frantique, 06 February 2007 - 07:30 PM.