Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen Crashes

• Please log in to reply

anobeak

anobeak

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Durring gameplay, first noticed on WoW, my system will sporadically crash to a black screen and the sound will loop. My system is as follows.

600W PSU
768 MB DDR Ram
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS W/ 512 MB Ram
2000+ AMD Athlon Processor (1.6 GHz)
All on an Emachine T2085

In a previous post on the WoW support forum, it was suggested by a forum person to replace the 250W PSU, which inlighted me to the fact that my system probably shouldn't have been able to even start with that little of a PSU. Now, however, that has been replaced by the 600W PSU, and the problem still occurs. Any suggestions on a fix?

The same problem occurs when playing Red Faction(single player, or multiplayer). It is not strictly related to WoW.

Also, I have tried running either program with the case of my PC open, in hopes it was merely overheating. This seemed to have no affect.

I have the lastest version of direct X, and am almost entirely sure it is no a driver compatibility issue.

Anyone have an idea as to what a fix to this issue could be? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I would haft to agree with the WoW forums. 250watts is way too little for playing those very intensive games. I would suggest at least getting a 550watt PSU. Also, download speedfan from here
http://www.almico.com/speedfan431.exe

Than post a screenshot of your temperatures while in game mode to see if we are experiencing overheating as well.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 15 January 2007 - 01:49 AM.

anobeak

anobeak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I appreciate your response, but I HAVE replaced the PSU, as stated both in the subtitle of the thread, and in the thread itself directly after I mentioned 250W not being nearly enough. My new PSU is a 600W. I will be back with a SS of that program momentarily.

--Okay, here is a screen show of that speed fan program. Thank you greatly for taking the time to help ^^

Attached Files

Edited by anobeak, 15 January 2007 - 02:08 AM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Sorry about overlooking, I seem to do that alot.

Your voltages passed. Your not overheating.

Have you done any overclocking?

Also, when it crashes, does the PC reboot?

anobeak

anobeak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Occasionaly it will reboot on it's own, but usually it's just a black screen with a looping sound. As mentioned, it is a prebought PC, and I have no personally over clocked the CPU.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well lets turn off auto restart.

Right click my computer.
Scroll down to Properties
GO to the advanced tab
Click Start up and recovery
Uncheck Automaticallly Restart

Instead of a reboot , a stop message also known as a Blue screen of death will appear.. please post on what it says.

anobeak

anobeak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay, I turned off Automatic Restart, and I logged into WoW to wait for it to crash. It crashed after about five minutes, and it wasn't the normal black screen with looping sound. It did restart though, and did not display any error message that I saw.

Could it be the mobo?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
It could be.

Try this

Click Start
Click Run
Type "chkdsk /f /r" (no quotes please)
It will say that the disk is locked and will require a reboot. Type Y. Reboot and lt it scan. This will take awhile so be patient.

anobeak

anobeak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Alright, I've done the chkdsk as instructed. Is there any sort of log I am supposed to access and look at now, or am I just supposed to try out the game and see what happends?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try out the game and see what happens.

Advertisements

anobeak

anobeak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The game still froze up, after about 15 minutes.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
This is not making any sense to me whatso ever.

Try running sfc /scannow

Click Start.
Click Run.
Type "sfc /scannow"

It will ask for the XP cd, so please have it ready for when it asks for it.

anobeak

anobeak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry for the lag in replying-school, you know?-it's a premanifactured computer, so I don't have a XP cd, since it was already loaded on the computer. Emachines doesn't supply you with your copy of the XP cd, at least not with this machine.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Crud...

How about we uninstall and reinstall your video card drivers.. that may help

anobeak

anobeak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hehe, I've done that quite a few times, to no avail. I even tried a seperate line of drivers for my video card for a while, but that din'dt help any so I replaced them with the nvidia line agian.