Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Zone Alarm

• Please log in to reply

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi everyone

I've been having a problem with Zone Alarm for almost as long as I've had this laptop, around a year. I use the free version of Zone Alarm which doesn't offer any support of course. When I was advised by the application to update perhaps 9 months ago I downloaded the update from the website, opened the file to install it and almost immediately the screen flashed to a blue screen with white writing on (similar to the Windows 98 blue screen of death) and restarted (didn't get chance to read any of the blue screen writing). The same thing happens if I try to uninstall Zone Alarm. So I have to have Zone Alarm on my PC but months out of date, merely because I can't get rid of it or update it. I've scoured the net for info but with no success. This happens each and every time I try to update/uninstall. I've used the control panel > add/remove programs uninstall option and the uninstall zonealarm option in the start menu both with the same result.

I'm using Windows XP SP2 (german edition) on an Acer Travelmate 2410 Laptop. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Adam H.

Advertisements

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download it from here

http://www.filehippo...zonealarm_free/

Click to install, choose clean install

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi, thanks for the suggestion but that has just done exactly the same thing - i opened the downloaded exe file and within 2 or 3 seconds the blue screen appeared and restarted the PC. It seems to be some kind of conflict between ZA and my PC because no other application has ever done this!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look in programme files for a zone labs folder, move it to my documents

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, conirm, reboot the PC

If you get access denied, If ZA lets you open it, you can try setting it not to run at start up, then reboot the PC, if not , click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, remove the tick for zlclient, click apply and reboot, when it gets to the desktop, tick do not start the configuration utility. Then move the folder and run prefetch etc

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Right, I've moved the folder to My Docs...then the first prefetch sequence followed by removing the zclient tick in msconfig. Now...do I put the folder back in Program Files and run prefetch then try and uninstall it?
Thanks

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Incidentally when I try and uninstall ZA I get the following message. (This happened yesterday when I tried):

"The file C:\Windows\system32\vsutil.dll could not be opened" followed by "Could not load the DLL library C:\DOKUME~1\AdamH\LOKALE~1\Temp\vsutil.dll. The given module was not found"

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Funny thing is, whenever I disable ZA (from startup or otherwise) my internet connection seems to go dormant after 5-10minutes and webpages won't be displayed, all other apps like MSN and Skype remain connected with no problems. This problem is rectified by re-enabling ZA.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It won't find the uninstall information because it was registered as programmes files\ZA and not where it was moved to

Run disc clean up, then it should be possible to install ZA from a fresh copy, or use Comodo

http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/