Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

advice on web hosting

• Please log in to reply

LazyStudent

LazyStudent

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey,

I am doing a site for a local band and I am required to register the domain name and register the site with a server. I am a computer science student and have done a few sites for college projects but this is my first professional project and I would like to hear from you guys on what companies do good web hosting packages. Yahoo seems to do good packages but I would like some advice before I register anywhere. I would also like to know how to go about copy righting the site.

Any other advice for a newbie would be nice too,
Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts

Yahoo seems to do good packages

Ewwwwww... Yahoo's deals are terrible... expensive and bad deals.

I would also like to know how to go about copy righting the site.

Anything on your site is copyrighted.

but I would like some advice before I register anywhere.

http://www.gtghosting.com/ <-- Great support, good deals, and you get a discount for being a forum member :tazz:

SlAuGhTeR GEEK

SlAuGhTeR GEEK

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok well if you want to host i suggest getting a seperate ccomputer a [bleep] one and load linux on it. linux isnt bad but its fast and stable and great for hosting. as far as actually putting it up on the net you can buy a domain name i.e. (a .com) or use something a co.nr or just use the ip address. any other info you need my e-mail its [email removed to prevent spam] if you need more info im happy to help

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
try this one
http://www.catalog.com - once yu get there try the "Club Hosting " thing so you get the domain name for 35$ a year - with no setup fee and no monthly charges. You also get re-seller options , and so you can punt it on to some unsuspecting bloke and make a few quid out of it ;) .

Also remember that when registering the site - always register the site in your clients name and register yourself as tech-support person :tazz:

cheers'

SlAuGhTeR GEEK

SlAuGhTeR GEEK

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
another thing is if you would like to put up pictures up on you linux box. DONT put them in the CGI-BIN thats for executiables you need to put them one folder up. and another good habbit is keep your PHP PERL HTML ect... in seperate folders. depending on what linux version your using also. :tazz:

LazyStudent

LazyStudent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Cheers for the responses guys,

Since this is not my site its for a client I decided it wouldnt be in my best interest to set up a linux server on one of my machines so I registered with lunarpages. I think I got a reasonable deal. There is loads of disk space, 40gb monthly bandwith, loads of pop emails and a whole other load of features. It cost $15 dollars to restister the domain name (.com) and $7.95 a month to use their server and free setup.

If I was to set up my own linux server on one of my machines for future projects how well would my connection cope with serving. My connection speed is about 900kbps downstream and 112 upstream.

cobhcf

cobhcf

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
And keep in mind that the most important thing to consider when looking for hosting companies would be the amount of transfer the hosting company provides. Some deals will be dirt cheap but you wont get plenty of transfer (You get what you pay for. Right?) But if you are looking for less tranfer rate and cheaper prices, there are whole lot of sites out there. But for a couple of bucks more, you can get good transfer rate and large storage. It all depends on how many people are going to access the site and how big your site is. Good luck.

PS: www.catalog.com is a good place to look for. :tazz: