Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software Assurance

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi. Can anyone help me out? I've had a copy of Microsoft Office 2003 for ages now, which I got through my employer. Well, my dad's employer. On the back of the box it says...

Your employer has acquired Microsoft Office with Software Assurance and elected to participate in the Home Use Programme. You may install and use this software on one personal computer or device within your home while you remain the primary user of a licensed copy of Microsoft Office with active Software Assurance coverage.

I'm not too sure what that exactly means? Does that mean I'll get an upgrade to Office 2007 because I'm covered by Software Assurance? That's what Software Assurance is isn't it? I tried to look on the Microsoft website, but my gosh... it's so confusing. You think they'd just have spelt out, after all they make money off it.

I'd be grateful if somebody could help, because otherwise I'm going to have to get Office 2007 from somewhere else. There's this great website (www.studentoptions.com) that does really cheap software for students so it won't be too much of a problem.

:whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It means your dad's work has allowed you to use that copy of Office at home at the same time as work. It doesn't automatically entitle you to any upgrades. Any that are presented will go through the employer and new licences may be required.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Any that are presented will go through the employer and new licences may be required.

:S
Does that mean that if there is an upgrade going they'll only go to the employer, or that if there's an upgrade going I'll hear about it through my dad's work?

Sorry... It probably makes sense, but at the moment I'm having a really bad/slow day, I'm ill and behind on my coursework... and I managed to fall over twice today, in the same place. :whistling: :blink:

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with MS...software assurance means you get a price break on new versions of the product (i.e. you'd get office 2007 at a discount) HOWEVER what that thing is saying (i think) you personally wouldn't be entitled to the new version discount directly....the company that purchased the product would have to buy the discounted upgrade with the same licensing and pass that on to you

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Oh right. Well that's simple enough... I guess. :whistling:

Actually, I think I'll just leave Office 2007 all together. I like the whole ribbon thing, and the new styles but if it's gonna cost me £60 (at least) [that's about $110 I think!!] then it can wait a while. A long while.

Thanks for the help.

And how that monkey gets around. Every time I have a problem and visit it's somehow changed. It has a cigar and now comes with extended reach... whatever that means. :blink: And, I've always wanted to ask you something? Have you really killed someone for PMing you? I've heard rumours you know... hmm...

Edited by o2mcgovem, 16 January 2007 - 05:01 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Have you really killed someone for PMing you? I've heard rumours you know... hmm...

i could tell you but then i'd have to....well..you know