Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot transfer old hard drive contents to new RAID

• Please log in to reply

JoeDaCabbie

JoeDaCabbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I need some help. I've just assembled a new system, and I can't move the contents of the old hard drive onto the new ones (set up as RAID 0). Here is the hardware:

Mainboard: Intel D975XBX2
Processor: Intel Core Duo 2 2.4 Ghz E6600
RAM: 2 x 1Gb Corsair DDR2 800
RAID: 2 x Seagate ST3160812SV 160Gb 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s drives

The original drive is another Seagate 80Gb IDE drive.

The system went together easily, and is functioning fine. The RAID is installed properly, both the BIOS and Windows can see it (it is installed as E: currently). It is formatted as a 127GB Windows partition with an unused part (I assume Vista will fix this?)

Seagate's drive management tool failed to transfer the old drives contents over. I have bought Norton's Ghost v. 10.0, and have tried to use that several times. It does move everything over, but the new drives will not boot the machine. I get the light blue screen with the darker blue bands on the top and bottom and the Windows XP logo, but nothing else. I did check the 'Make new drive bootable' option on Ghost, but if I remove the old 'c:' drive, nothing works. Does anyone have a clue how to get the RAID working so I can retire the old hard drive?

:whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, XP can see drives and partitions way bigger than 127Gb

Seagate's program only works on Seagate standalone drives, not those that are part of a RAID configuration.

Norton Ghost should be able to do it, just don't tell Ghost to do the operation while you're in Windows as it almost always screws it up for a bootable partition. Boot off the CD and Ghost it then through DOS.

keegen

keegen

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Norton Ghost should be able to do it, just don't tell Ghost to do the operation while you're in Windows as it almost always screws it up for a bootable partition. Boot off the CD and Ghost it then through DOS.

Would it be possible for you to give an explanation on how to do this? I'm having a similar problem.

Thank you.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
usually boot off the Ghost CD like you do to install XP.

Then change to one of the folders through the DOS prompt to find the Ghost executable program. For Ghost 2003, its in the Support folder IIRC.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
To clear something up if thats a new PC the old windows installation WILL NOT work if you simply transfer it across that only works if old and new PCs are identical you need to start fresh otherwise with a new OS install and after that its easier to simple do a copy and paste to the new drive from the old for your non OS files. Make sure you have service pack 2 installed and the drives arent clipped in order to get your extra space back which i would be more concerned about myself.