Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP2 and printing preferences

• Please log in to reply

DA IMP

DA IMP

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello everyone.

To summarise, I need a reliable way to configure the printing preferences into a single (or a list of multiple) set of parameters that will override all other possible printing settings, or at least keep them from shifting randomly as it seems to do.

I have several computers in a small network, sharing printers. Most of the users aren't trained in computers so as to revise and adjust the settings every time they want to print. Nor should they have to, frankly. It should be a "Print - OK" deal pretty much.
My problem is that, no matter how many times I configure the printing preferences from the Control Panel (paper size, resolution, paper feed tray...), they keep changing.
I have to deal with two sets of options in the computer itself...those from the Control Panel, and those on the file. Most of the files are MS-Office documents, and Office has the odious habit of using Letter as the default paper size (like most places around, we use A4).
I have the set of options saved up in the Control Panel, so it's relatively easy to put it back in place. I just don't want it to keep changing around all the time. I don't want every single file that comes around to not only take precedence over system-wide settings, but also to make alter them.

Something more flexible than a locked-up, permanent setting of the options would be best, since there are reasons to change the options sometimes.
Maybe there's something out there that lets you override it all, and limit it to a series of pre-set options? :whistling:

In any case, thank you all advance, for any tips on the matter.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In Microsoft Word, file, page set up, paper, did you click print options, set them and click default

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
In addition to Keith's suggestion, you can set all the defaults for Word, page size, font, etc, then copy the normal.dot file from that computer to a shared location on the network.

To give all workstations access to this "standard" template:
1. Change the file location on each workstation for User Templates to that shared location. This will force each workstation to open the normal.dot that you've placed on the server each time Word is opened.
2. Change the file location on each workstations for Workgroup Templates to the default location on the C:\ drive (probably c:\program files\microsoft offce\office##\templates). This allows access to the other default templates.

To change the file locations in Word, click the Tools menu, Options, File Locations tab. Click the file type you want to change, then click the Modify button.