Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer doesn’t work

• Please log in to reply

tuslog

tuslog

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[size=4]Whenever I try to install something that uses the Windows Installer, I get a popup window with the following [u]“ The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in the safe mode or if Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance. “ I am not in safe mode and the Windows Installer has worked in the past. At what point it became corrupt I have no idea so a system restore will not work. I am running XP pro on a Dell Dimension 4550. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated .

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
i had this problem in the past

same message
but for me it turned out that i had 2 windows installers running

in the add/remove program it showed only one window installer

i was unfortunate to find the second one by mistake ibm had a list of programs that was installed so thats when i saw the second windows installer i went add/remove programs removed it and just like there was no change but it worked and i was able to use windows installer

my guess is that when we first bought computer and updated it was service pack 1

then we upgrade to service pack 2 so its possible thats how the second windows installer ended up in add/remove programs

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You can try re-registering the windows installer.

Go to Start>Run... type in msiexec /regsvr or msiexec.exe /regserver