Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan..mswinup

• Please log in to reply

Kenix

Kenix

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The other day i uninstalled Mcafee for NOD32, and Zonealarm Pro, somewehre in between i got infected. Upon restarting i got a STRONG NAME VALIDATION error, then tried scanning for virus and spyware, spycatcher found some adaware/suspicious files, but not sure which are bad. System Restore wont run, and internet explorer wont run so im not able to use online virus scanner. Firefox works, but cant user internet explorer plug in. Ran adaware found nothing, NOD32 found mswinup, re running deeper scan. Running SDFix, and AVG Anti-Spyware...please help. Later ill post a Hi-jack this if you need help

Also forgot to mention Windows Media Player will not start...

Edited by Kenix, 15 January 2007 - 05:23 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Kenix

Kenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the box says to input the windows xp pro disk...even though i have media center installed...but i put in the xp pro disc, but the thing says that is the wrong disk? and my computer didnt come with a media center disk =\