Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly restarts.

• Please log in to reply

Davieo

Davieo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey whats up,

Lately while i've been playing World of warcraft my computer will restart itself. It's usually after i've been playing for a little bit. I would take this to the WoW forums but I think its my comp screwing up. I read somewhere that motherboards will shut down the computer when they reach a certain temperature as a sort of fail safe type of thing, so everytime it restarts i check the temp in the BIOS. So far the highest i have seen the system temperature at is 56c, which i don't think is high enough to trigger that fail safe thing. ( the processor temp is usually much lower, at around 35c). So I don't think its a overheating issue. I'm starting to lean towards my power supply as the culprit but since i don't know a whole lot about these sort of things i'm not positive, and I don't want to go buy a new one until i know for sure.
My power supply is a Atx 400w. Motherboard is Microstar ms-6547. 80 gb hd. 1gig ram. I have a geforce 4 TI 4800 128 mb graphics card. If you need any other specs lemme know.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as it's driving me insane, i feel like tossing this thing out the window right about now. WoW is my only stress reliever from real life and right now its causing me even more stress, heh.

Edited by Davieo, 15 January 2007 - 06:15 PM.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey whats up Davieo.

I want you to turn off auto restart to receive a stop message and we can find out what the heck is wrong!

Right Click My Computer
Scroll to Properties.
Click the Advanced Tab
Click Start Up and recovery
Uncheck "auto restart"
Run the game and wait for the stop message to occur. Post it here.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 15 January 2007 - 06:18 PM.

Davieo

Davieo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok i'm back. For some reason it took a while that time to do it. Anyways, it said,

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Then it went on to tell me a few ways of fixing what happened (which i was going to try, but i figured i would come here first)

Stop: (0x0000008ec0x0000005,0xbf150180, 0xbt68d9d8, 0x00000000)
( i doubt you need these numbers but i put em here anyways)

Nv4.disp.dll- Address bf150180 base at bf012000
datestamp 44dd4897.

So i'm guessing the dll is messing up from my graphics card?
Well, lemme know what ya think.

Thanks.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
What kind of graphics card is it?

Davieo

Davieo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
nvidia geforce 4 ti 4800 128 mb

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I Highly recommend you uninstall your video card drivers and reinstall them. Somehow they got corrupted somewhere. Make sure they are the latest cards from your manufacturer.

Davieo

Davieo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmm... ok, i'll have to dig around on how to do that, hopefully it will clear up the problem. Thanks for your time.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
My pleasure.. if you have any trouble..post back I will be here. :whistling:

Davieo

Davieo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Looking for some more help on this. Uninstalling my drivers worked for a little while, then it started doing it again. I've tried uninstalling and installing the drivers repeatedly but the problem just persists. It doesn't happen as often anymore. Sometimes i can go for hours and nothing, then other times it will restart my computer every 15-20 minutes. The error is always the same to (the one i posted before). This is getting really annoying :-/

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hi again.
Is this the same BSOD you were getting before?

Davieo

Davieo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
OK well this is deff a video card issue.

Look herehttp://byronmiller.typepad.com/byronmiller/2005/10/stupid_windows_.html