Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2

• Please log in to reply

realapp

realapp

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I just finished getting rid of some malware under the malware forum and my computer was working great again. But it was suggested that I update to SP2 so I did and it seems my computer is running slower than before the update. Also, I noticed that my free space went down to 66% and I'm pretty certain it was at 72-75% before all of this. Is this normal? Does SP 2 use a lot of space? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, my computer, right click local disc C, click properties, what do you have for total, used and free space

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
12.4 used and 24.8 free space, 37.2 total

Edited by realapp, 16 January 2007 - 09:30 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, disc clean up, click more options, clean up restore points, click OK

Check local disc C again

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
when i get to the disk clean up window it goes right into calculation how much space how will have and doesnt' give me an "options" tab to cleanup restore points. Also, I don't know if this matters, but on my Add/Remove programs window, I have a ton of Window's update's on there that I never noticed before.

Edited by realapp, 16 January 2007 - 10:07 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When it has run the calculation, there should be a box with a more options tab

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
ok , 8.98 used and 28.2 free

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is optional but will check if there is any particular reason the PC is running slowly

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor