Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bizarre: Task Manager lost top part of window

• Please log in to reply

conticreative

conticreative

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have been having endless problems since the beginning of the year.

I have been getting random freezes where the interface will just stop working for minutes on end and then try to execute every mouse click and key command I did while it was frozen.
I also am experiencing the annoying IE7 freeze I get when I try to use ALT-TAB to switch programs out of IE (but not the other way around and clicking ctrl-alt-del twice fixes it somehow).

However the latest weirdness is that my Task manager window is now missing the top part of it with the menu, the "close" and "minimize" icons and all the tabs. I can close it only by right-click of the icon in the task bar.
Somehow I suspect this is not very normal and it is further proof that my laptop is somehow very sick.

Incidentally, I run every test I could think of plus I used several registry applications as well and several tricks suggested on this forum to repair the other problems I am having. All to no avail. I suspect that soon a new installation of Win XP sp2 is in my future, but any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

"Headless task Manager in Sacramento"

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Double click task manager at the top

conticreative

conticreative

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Indeed. After 10+ years of working with windows I didn't know that one. I have been having so many problems with my box that I thought it was another issue popping up.
Now I feel stupid. Hope you can forgive me :whistling:

Anyone has heard of the IE7 freeze when alt-tab is invoked? I found several posts around the forums (including the Microsoft one) with many people experiencing the same problem but no solutions have been brought forth. Even more puzzling is the double ctrl-alt-del trick to unfreeze it.

Thank you very much. This one was easy...