Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mail Being Deleted after Opening

• Please log in to reply

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I share a PC with my wife. She is an infrequent user. All the same programs/software. We both use Outlook for email. Today she was using Outlook. After opening new mail and reading it, when she closed the mail it did not go back in the inbox, it did not go to the deleted folder, it disappeared. She did not click on the delete icon. I opened another email, closed it and it was gone.

I went to my Outlook email account and it works just fine, I can open and close mail as always. I have to click on the delete icon and then it goes to the deleted folder.

I can only assume that we have somehow inadvertently changed a setting, but I have no idea what we might have done, nor what we need to do to get things back to where they were before today.

I operate at a very basic skill level, so if you have some thoughts or suggestions I'd be most grateful if you would share them.

Thanks and regards

Tom Prendergast

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, and welcome to Geeks to Go.

I'll need to confirm some information to assist in resolving this issue.

1. Do you each have a Windows User Account - do you log into Windows with your own User Name? Or do you log in with the same User Name?

2. Do you have separate email accounts?

3. What version of Outlook do you have - you can check it by opening Outlook, clicking the Help menu, About...

t.j.prendergast

t.j.prendergast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Linda,

Thanks for offering to help, but I have resolved the issue, just as it was created.......by accident. There is a window that displays "Messages", but it can be changed to a variety of options. I/WE had inadvertently hit the arrow and unwittingly entered another option. I went back to my Outlook screen and made note of every variable, including Archive choices. When I went back to my wife's account I finally noted that there was a difference. Only a few hours and a modest amount of my stomach lining. Thanks again. I'll be back with a problem regarding Disk Defragmentation. This time I am really going to need help.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad you got it worked out :whistling: